News:

Main Menu

The klutz and the carbs

Started by gwh611, March 25, 2002, 05:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwh611

Hi all,

Well, BikeBandit was great.  Got all my parts, fixed the coolant leak, and got the bike started.

Looks like the carbs are wonky.  At first, it was dumping gas out of the overflow tubes.  So I went in and un-stuck the floats, and fixed that problem.

Bike won't idle unless I keep the choke on.  And it bogs when I give it throttle.

The situation:  The bike has sat for 4 years.  If I can't get it running right soon, I'll be forced to sell it.   :'(

It's an 82, but I'm pretty sure it has the carb updates.  It requires the 83 air filter, and I'm told it has accelerator pumps.  (How can I tell for sure?)

Is there anyone near San Francisco that likes these bikes enough to help me get this one back on the road?  I'm feeling the need.

Any advice or pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary.

Dave T.

Your bike is running lean due to a plugged orifice in your carb(s) or a air leak on the intake side of yer motor. Pull em' off and go through all the jets, passages etc. My V had a rusty tank and a leaky YIKES! The rust dust that got by the filter in the tank made it run like shit. I POR15'd the tank and now the cancer is gone.

There could be much more to this problem, but I would start there. Get a fuel filter too.
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

glennw

what is this POR15 stuff and how does it work ???
Half Mad Max

gwh611

POR-15 is a paint designed for rusty bare metal.

Go to <http://www.por15.com> and check it out.

Unlike other products, all of their claims are true.

Kenny

Hi Glen,
     I just did my 83 tank with POR15 and its easy to use. They have two different kits available,one is a regular kit for a tank that has not been sealed before- the heavy duty kit is for tanks that have been sealed with other types of sealant that must be removed before using Por15.
  The regular or utility kit works fine on a Vision tank. You drain your tank, remove the fuel petcock and fuel guage sending unit (if you are doing an 83)with the petcock assy removed you can get all the fuel out the petcock hole if you position the tank on the right angle.
    From then on just follow the instructions that Por sends with the kit, I did mine in around five hours. I found it simple to do and the instructions easy to follow.
  The number which works in Canada is 1 800 -689-7504.  The price here is $45. can.
      Give it a shot it will stop the rust from getting into your carbs.
                       Cheers Ken Stuart  
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

jasonm.

If any bike will only run on the choke. Then the pilot gas jet is surely plugged. Remove all the rubber parts from the carb. And "dip" the carbs yourself.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules