installation of an 83 fairing on an 82

Started by 1LostVrider, March 08, 2002, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1LostVrider

hey guys,
i just bought a fairing from an 83 V and i am trying to put it on my 82 V.  I am having a little trouble installing it . What i  have is (1) big bracket that goes around the handlebars and headlight area (2) little W shapped bracket that goes inbetween the forks and steering head (3) main healdight fairing and side fairings with all the rubbers and accesories  ... i have all the nuts and bolts for it. My problem is that i cannot get the little W shapped bracket to go inbetween the forks and install it in place around the steering head in order to  bolt it down with the two bolts. Its driving me nuts. Are the forks of the 82 narrower than those of the 83. So far i have the whole headlight assemply out and the tank off and still cant get it in place. If anyone has any written istructions on how to install this that they can fax to me or mail to me, or has had this problem before and knows how to do this PLEASE HELP !!!  This W shaped thing is the only hting stopping me from installing my fairing !

thanks

LVR

XRay_Vision

Hi,

According to my list, the "w" bracket of the 82 Kit has the same part number than the 1983 ( P/N 11u-28369-00-00 ).

This bracket has first to be put in place, than you install the large bracket. Note that the "w" should be positioned so that the screws that attached it to the frame are under the bracket (not over).

Good Luck

X-Ray Vision.
X-Ray Vision

1LostVrider

thanx Xray, i had my doubts on the position of the W braket too. But i tried inserting the W bracket from every side, in between the forks, through the bottom,  from the top and there is no way to get it into position, it gets stuck against everything.  Do i need to drop the forks ? remove the whole top part of the steering section ? Can someone who has tried this before tell me if im jsut retarded or if there is a " special " way to acctally get that bracket into place.

thanx

LVR

XRay_Vision

:o

According to the kit's instructions, you don't have to remove a single fork component or any other component (you already have removed the headlamp bracket, horn cover and reinstalled the horn with the newly acquired bracket I suppose). This step is just an illustration without any precision regarding how to install the "w". I have not done it myself, I wish I could help you more...

Good luck
X-Ray Vision

Rick G

I have installed the fairing on a 82 , The fairing was offered as a accessory in mid 82 , the forks are the same , as to spacing. I installed it last summer with no instructions and as I remember it the "W" was a little rough to get on. I will look at my bike tomorrow and refresh my memory and email you with what I know, then. Rick G
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

mbaur

When I put the fairing on my '83 I had to take off the top triple clamp (with the 4 lights) to get it in. It wasn't really a big deal: I loosened the four pinch bolts that hold the handlebar on each side and took off the big bolt on the steering head. That way I could slip the top triple off and insert the bracket easily. This took a lot less time than I had already spent trying to slide in the bracket from all possible angles :)

1LostVrider

hey guys, spent to many hours trying to put that damn W bracket in, today the triple clamp came off ... i thought it wouldd be harder than it acctually was ... thanx for the advice

LVR