leaking forks ???

Started by 1LostVrider, February 26, 2002, 12:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1LostVrider

hey guys,
a while back i noticed a coating of some kind of dark oil on my front brake disc. I then noticed that it was all up in my caliper and on my pads. I cleaned the whole thing with brake cleaner to try and trace the oil leak but all you see is a small drop of black oil dripping off the speedometer cable ( where it meets the front rim ... speedometer sending unit ??? ... ) anyway thought it was my piston seal from the caliper so i changed that but it still leaks. I am thikning its maybe my forks but there are no traces of leakage from the forks. The bike still brakes but its not top notch braking. any suggestions ? how do i see if its my fork seals?

LVR

mbaur

If you had leaking fork seals you'd see ring marks on your fork legs or some kind of smear. I think you would have noticed it if your fork seals were leaking. Also there is not a lot of oil in the forks: To have fork oil all over the brake caliper, pistons and pads and stuff still leaking seems highly improbable.

- Markus

Lucky

clean everything off with brake cleaner so there is no oil left, then sprinkle everything with baby powder, you should see the leak then,  if not, go for a short ride, and sprinkle again.

Harly riders would never do this... grunt grunt grunt...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black