News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

vision still dying after 5-7 miles

Started by scotton, January 29, 2002, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotton

This is a continuation to my previous post, titled "opinions desired on my starting problem"

First here is what is happening. After 5 - 7 miles of highway driving, my V bogs down and dies. If it let it sit for 3 - 5 minutes, I can start it and get home. The loat chambers are getting gas when it dies.

Here is what I have done:
charged battery
replaced gas
replaced fuel pump
dipped carbs
checked fuses and connectors
replaced spark plugs
cut the rev limiter wire
replaced reg/rec
replaced tci

The only other thing I can think of to replace is the coils. Does anyone have any thoughts on this before I give up and go the lawn art route?

Thanks,
Scott

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

scotton

I haven't had the tools to check when it dies, but this evening I will roll out with a spark plug wrench and see. I suspect that it doesn't, but I should make sure.

Scott

Lucky

pull the wire off a plug, stick a screwdriver in the wire end, (don't distort the metal cap that goes over the plug) and hold the metal shaft of the screwdriver 1/8-1/4 inch to ground.  make sure you hold the screwdriver by the handle, because if you touch the metal on the screwdriver, and you have spark, you will get a nasty shock.  crank the engine and look for a spark to jumpf from screwdriver to ground.

this doesn't take into consideration the condition of the plugs...
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

An easier way to check for spark:  Take an old spark plug(any kind will do) with you on your next ride.  When the bike stops, pull the rear cylinder spark plug lead off and connect it to your spare plug.  Using some type of insulating contrivance, hold the plug against the engine and crank the engine.  Look for a fat blue spark.  Accept no substitutes.

Make sure your spark coil connections are bright and shiney.  Also, when the problems manifests itself, another check would be to switch out the TCI box and see if it makes any difference.  

You say that the float "chambers" have fuel.  What you describe sounds a lot like fuel starvation.  If your fuel tank isn't venting it would cause symptoms like you've described.  Take a ride with the gas cap unlocked and see if it make any differance.  Or, as soon as the problem shows up, stop and open the cap for a moment and see it the problem isn't immediately fixed.  An at home check would be to fill the tank, and with the gas cap locked down and the fuel petcock switched to its "prime" position, place a catch container under the carb drain hose opening, open the carb float bowl drain screws and see how long the fuel flows out.  If it flows for at least 30 seconds then you have eliminated fuel starvation as a possibility.  Note:the fuller the tank is when do this test, the shorter amount of time it will take to reveal a starvation problem, if there is one.  Cheers.

Rick G

I think QBS is on the right track it sounds like a  case of a plugged gas cap vent,  your symptoms sound like running out of gas  as when you need to go on reserve, except you are going too far for that.  let us know what happens.  Rick G
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike