Another Stator Question

Started by yamy, January 24, 2002, 02:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamy

>:(Ok, brothers, help me out. I am an electrical newbie, and I am pretty certain that my stator is cooked. When I take my pocket voltmeter, and set the dial to ohms, touch a posative to any of the three white leads that go to the stator (everything unplugged from the harness at this point, in fact, the harness is removed now), and touch the negative to the crankcase, the needle on the dial moves. Does this mean I need to find another, or is this an "ID 10 T" error?

Also, evidence of melting where the regulator/rect plugs into the harness (the red lead), and the back of the battry box was showing signs of melting where the reg/rect bolts on. Am I seeing the signs, or am I in denial that I need a new one.

FYI - I am a Vision newbie, this is a project bike for me right now, a total frame-up rebuild.

George R. Young

If there's continuity between the stator leads and ground, it's new stator time. The insulation had overheated and broken down.

I've had 3 Yamaha ones die this way, I'm now using a rewind. Didn't want to give Yamaha any more money for a problem they've never solved.