Autopsy of a Dead Vision Exhaust System

Started by XRay_Vision, January 10, 2002, 10:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XRay_Vision

Everyone knows that the vision's OEM exhaust system is highly succeptible to a deadly contageous disease:
RTD, better known as Rust Transmitted Disease !  :'(

Eventhough, many of us have seen Exhaust victims of RTD, few of us, have seen the internal "organs" of a Vision exhaust.
My idea was to find a dead exhaust system and do its autopsy and make pictures available.

Does it sound like a good idea?
Please post your comment or suggestions.

X-Ray Vision
X-Ray Vision

jasonm.

There is a valid reason for the rust. NO DRAIN HOLES in the pipe. All Yamaha street bikes from 1985 on had drain holes. The drain holes provide drainage and air circulation between the inner and outer walls of the pipe due to condensation. Also the exhaust when cut open at the "chamber". You will find that 90% of the rear exhaust goes out the left pipe. With just a small hole leading to the right pipe.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

XRay_Vision

Reflection on Drain Holes...and

My goal with this "autopsy" is to precisely establish where is the most efficient spot for them...

From my past experience the exhaust seem to rust and perforate in three different area at a different rate. There might be some sort of division or section that allow water condensation or accumulation. Knowing exactly were to drill holes would minimise their number (if more than one is needed) and diameter while maximizing efficiency.

Afterwards, I will also have a look at the connector box to examine the architecture of exhaust distribution. That might be of some help to those (like Blake) who want to "create" their own exhaust system.

Has soon has the pictures are available i will provide them for Lucky's site and Riders of Vision Home site. But first, I have to get my hands on a rotten use exhaust! ;D

X-Ray Vision
X-Ray Vision

Blake

speaking of new exhausts...

the past month or so i've been looking around for places to build the exhaust (relatively cheaply...to make it cost effective)..i've found one place in southern virginia (in in northern)..about 5 hours away that says exhausts are probably 100 bucks a cylinder..but from what they had on their page, it just looked like single pipe per cylinder applications.  so im going to send off an e-mail to them, asking about an exhaust for the vison (my main point is the rear collector thats RIGHT out of the cylinder, a major source of backpressure buildup.

we'll see how it goes...

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

jasonm.

My Venture as well as most Yamaha exhausts use 2 drain holes per muffler. One about 1" from the collector(beginning of the muffler) and the second at the widest part of the muffler. Which is usually 1" from the end. My '87 Venture mufflers have not rusted out yet. Also when I drilled drain holes in both my Visions. Water started dripping out. And upon start up about 2 ounces of water comes out. If the bike sits for a few days, the holes allow for evaporation. And hardly any water comes out. ;)
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

if what i'm seeing is correct, and most of the rear exaust goes out the left, and most of the front goes out the right, then it would follow that the front exaust gasses in the collector, having travled a further distance, would be cooler, theirby promoting more condensation in the right muffler, and thus, more rust.  from what i have seen and heard, the right muffler usually rusts out first.  this might explane the "drain plug" located on the right front underside of the collector. (go look, i'll wait)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black