News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

83 windshields

Started by ArrrGeee, December 08, 2001, 06:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArrrGeee

Has anyone been able to restore the original windshield
on an 83? I've a feeling it can be done with the
right information.

I just found this link for some stuff that says it will work.
http://www.dolphinite.com/20715.html
and I was wondering if anyone had heard of, or tried it.

It's cheap enough and where my windshield is in such
bad shape I'm thinking I've got nothing to lose.

-Ron

Kenny

?Hi Ron,
 ? ? ? I replaced the windshield on our 83 with a 2'x2'x3/32" piece of lexan from a local glass company,It was not to hard using the old shield as a pattern I laid apiece of paper over it and traced the outline (as I wanted a taller shield I extended the top of the pattern when I laid it over the new lexan)transfered the pattern ,cut it out with a fine toothed sabre saw,then used a couple of bungee cords to put a bend on the shield. Laid it on top of the fairing and found my mount holes. This worked well for me and the cost was around $22.cdn. It's a good idea to leave the protective coating on the lexan until your done.
 ? ?I believe Guzzi John has some info on forming lexan in a oven if you want to go this route.
 ? ? Hope this helps ? ? Cheers Ken ?
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Leather1

Ron -

Agree.  Go to local "plastic Fabrication" place and they can make a new one cheaply.  Easy because the Vision screen is NOT a compound curve (simple bend).  Very easy for pros to bend "Lexan".  

Don't mess with this yourself unless you have pain wish.  But..... work A LOT with this stuff and can answer any questions.

- Leather

mbaur

I've used stuff that is pretty similar to what you're describing with mixed results. That white stuff works sort of, but I've been getting far better results with something else.

The stuff that I've been using is called 'simichrome' and works very well to restore your chrome parts (that's what it is intended for), but also gives decent results for plastics. I've used it on the windshield of my Seca II, on the faceshield of my helmet and I've also begun restoring my Vision's windshield.

When I got my '83, the windshield that came with it looked pretty bad (almost like a bathroom window). I'm not yet at the sparkling, brand new looking state yet, but slowly getting there. Restoring your windshield this way definitely takes some elbow grease. But for me it's worth it...

- Markus

ArrrGeee

Thanks for the Info Markus.
I'll probably go the buffer and chemical route first to see how
I make out. the windshield is pretty bad.

if that doesn't make it, it's off to someone who can cut and mold
one for me.

Thanks.

-Ron

QuoteI've used stuff that is pretty similar to what you're describing with mixed results. That white stuff works sort of, but I've been getting far better results with something else.

The stuff that I've been using is called 'simichrome' and works very well to restore your chrome parts (that's what it is intended for), but also gives decent results for plastics. I've used it on the windshield of my Seca II, on the faceshield of my helmet and I've also begun restoring my Vision's windshield.

When I got my '83, the windshield that came with it looked pretty bad (almost like a bathroom window). I'm not yet at the sparkling, brand new looking state yet, but slowly getting there. Restoring your windshield this way definitely takes some elbow grease. But for me it's worth it...

- Markus

Rick greville

Hi Ron
I bought a used 83 fairing form a Visionary in Vancouver BC, yhe wind shield was so bad  that I bought a used Gusafson from Vision Vince. In the mean time My face shield on my Nolan was getting pretty bad and I was unable to find my spare (due to the move) I bought some "scratch remover   "KIT  scratch out"  its for auto finishes, plexeglas and plastic . This stuff is great, I'm still using my old shield and I tried it on the fairing wind shield , it now looks like new. There is one big scratch left but the rest is great . I was pleased and amaized.   :)

Kevin

I've polished out several windshields using Meguiar's paint cleaner to remove the small scratches, If you have deeper marks you can wet sand with 2000 grit paper and then polish it out.

jasonm.

If the windhshield is really bad. Heck, paint it black. You can't look through it anyway, new or old.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules