News:

Main Menu

Header bolts on rear exhaust

Started by GAJim, May 28, 2005, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAJim

Help.....

Anyone have any suggestions on getting the header bolts in on the rear exhast.  It took forever to get them off.  I am replacing the exhaust and it is unreal.  I have removed the battery box to get them off but getting them on is even harder.  Some suggestions from those who have bleed, seat and cursed these please pass along...

Thanks
Jim

ProfessorRex

Yea, the rear exhaust is AWFUL, I haven't been able to get my rear exhaust to seat properly.  As far as how to get those bolts in, try a ratchet with some exstensions and universal joints, it might work. 

I haven't taken mine out, but I might need to beause I want to do a flange style rear like the front, I think that'd help my sealing issues

GOOD LUCK
-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Venture

Last summer I changed the copper crush rings in my rear exhaust. It went from full leakage to zero leakage. This rings are still available at your Yamaha dealer. I removed the rear exhaust stubs as well at the same time to check the condition of them and their gaskets. I purchased a 3/8" drive hex socket wrench to remove/install them. The ideal wrenching position is below the frame at the rear wheel using a 15"  extension. It's even easier if you remove the rear wheel.

GAJim

I got the rear ones in finally.  I had one of the front exhaust threads pull out while tighten the other header bolt.  Now I am screwed.  I am going to look for some kind of liquid allow to try to get it to anchor.  I am open to any suggestions someone might have had this happen before.

Jim

Lucky

liquid (epoxy) probably won't do it, mutch better: bring the bolt to a good auto supplier (Napa, etc, NOT Pep Boys!) and get a Helicoil kit. you'll need a metric size of course, & becuse it's small they may have to order it, but that's ok, they really work.

the kit contains a tap, an inset(s) & an installation tool.
you tap out the old hole (easy with an aluminum block) install the insert with the tool (follow the directions) and reinstall your original size bolt (replace it if the threads are messed up)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

GAJim

Lucky,

I di go to the local auto store and they had a permacoil and it was very easy.  Glad I followed your advise.

Jim