Oil from the valve cover breathers...

Started by James_Collins, May 16, 2005, 08:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James_Collins

Hello,

I have an 82' with 14,000 original miles on the unit. Ever since I've had it, it has the tendency to spurt oil into the airbox from the valve cover breathers. It doesn't matter what weight I use, if the bike is rev'ed hard through the shifts it starts. I know excessive blow-by can cause problems like this, but it seems like an awful amount of oil is lost ( 1/2 quart in less than 100 miles) with spirited riding. Any clues?

silicon_toad2000

sorry if this is a dumb question but we have to start somewhere.
how are you checking your oil level?
It does take quite a while for the oil to drain back to the sump after the bike has been running. I think the manual says to leave the bike sitting for at least 5 minutes after shutdown before checking the oil level.
I made a that mistake the first time filling it, I filled it to the level, started it up and the shut her down and then wondered where all my oil went, I asumed it filled up the filter so I added more... oops.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

83vtwin

they will have a mist of oil that will pass through the breather into the air box, cars have a pcv valve that controls the oil before it gets into the air cleaner the 83 has a baffle in the passage under the head inside  that keeps the oil out of the air box i had the same problem with my 82 and put a inline pcv in the line and never had to replace my air filter after that.
 i also put a foam prefilter around my air filter to save the oem filter as long as possable

Paul_Jungnitsch

My '82 always gave some trouble, but not as bad as yours. Most of my oil came from the large tube (rear cylinder). There was no room to fit a car-type air/oil separator, so I plugged the intake to the airbox and ran the tube to a filtered scavenger bottle. The small tube still pumped a little oil so I vented it to atmosphere after running it first through a fuel filter high up under the tank to help separate.