Won' start

Started by RickJAB, May 13, 2005, 04:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJAB

Well it won't start.   I PORed my tank this spring and just put it back on the other night.  I started the bike with some gas I had around for the mower and with a battery I charged a few days earlier. My YICS needed an internal repairing so I clamped off the YICS hoses just to start it and drive it a mile to get more/fresher gas at a station up the street and add some Seafoam at that time.  It started after a few tries and ran rough (expected) but it ran. I got the gas but the bike would not start when I went to leave the station.   Just a click.  Fortunately the station is at the top of a hill and I roll started it and got back home.
    I ran the battery down trying to restart without luck so I charged it the next two days while I fixed the YICS (per Lucky's site).  I tried to start it last night with a fully charge battery 12.5 volts, and I only get a click from the selenoid.  I tried jumping it and still just a click ( can feel it at the selenoid).  I cleaned all the connections to and from the selenoid including the one on the starter.  When I started a few days ago it turned over fine.  Do the selenoids go bad?  The Haynes book makes it sound like it is ok if it clicks?
Any thoughts.
Thanks,
Rick
  >:( ??? >:( ??? :-X

Lucky

get a test light and touch it to the terminal on the starter while cranking. if the testlight lights up the solinoid is good, the starter is bad. if it doesn't light the solinoid is bad.

also put a voltmeter on the battery & see what it reads while cranking if it drops quickly below anything lower than10V the battery is bad.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RickJAB

Lucky,
       I'll try the 'light' test when I get home tonight.   I'll also test the battery, but it's only a year old and was fine when I put the bike up in the fall, and I filled it and charged it twice during the winter.  But I know from the various posting that they don't have a long life.   If it is the starter I know I can look to rebuild, and a new battery is $25-35.  Anyone know what a selenoid goes for?  
Thanks,
Rick

QBS

If you haven't replaced the factory oil seal in your starter, I would be very suspicious of starter failure due oil contamination.

RickJAB

QBS,
   I have not replaced the starter seal but I do have the repalcement seal from Chicago Rawhide.  I was waiting to find time and wanted to try out the POR and YICS fixes first before tackling the starter.  I think I'll be getting to it sooner than I planned either way.  I need to change the oil anyway.  It's going to rain this weekend in Cincinnati so I should have more time without the kids having knothole games.
Rick

Lucky

RickJAB

Last night I did the light test and the solinoid is good.  I pulled the started off and disassembled it most of the way.  It was full of oil.  I have the seal already as I mentioned and will get to it today hopefully.  I would not have thought it would start and turn over with no problem one minute and 10 minutes later have the oil effect it to the point of only clicking; but I guess it has to reach that critical oil saturation point sometime.  
Lucky and QBS thanks for the info. and direction.  

By the way Lucky, 'knothole' is the little league baseball association in the Cincinnati area.  I believe they have other ones as well such as Pony Leagues, Select, Babe Ruth (older), etc... I thought there was a 'knothole' league most everywhere in America, but I  guess knot.

Rick

Lucky

I guess it's a 'local chapter' thing. here it goes:
T ball (ages 5-8), Deadford (7-10), Minor(9-12), Majors (10-14), Junior league (13-16) & Senior league (15-18)

RickJAB

Thanks to this site's instructions I replaced my starter seal with great results this weekend and I am up and running again.  For anyone who has not replaced theirs I would recommend doing so soon.  I waited and the inside of my starter became an oily mess.  It took a few hours to disassemble and clean correctly.   It would have been a breeze without needing to clean off all the oil and just having to replace the seal.  Not a terrible fix but was longer and a lot messier by waiting.  Back in the 70's tomorrow so fixed it right on time.   Again I appreciate everyones thoughts and input to my questions.
Rick
  :) :)  8) 8)