News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

i don't see the O-RING, but haynes says it's there

Started by Buffo, May 12, 2005, 05:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffo

i have removed the fromt cyl. head (82) and upon reading the haynes manual to do the installation correctly came upon an O-ring that was not on my bike. Or perhaps i am just a complete idiot and cant spot it. anyway, on page 55 (chapter 2) section 7 sub-paragraph 6 it states "...then remove the dowel pins and the large O-ring", all i seen was the head gasket, no large O-ring. And then in section 7 sub-paragraph 8 it says "Install the dowel pins and new O-ring then lay the new head gasket in place." It then refers to photo 7.8 which clearly shows the gasket but what of the o-ring?

Page 61 has an exploded view of the cylinder components and on the front clyinder shows 2 O-rings. One in between the cylinder and the gasket that goes in between the cylinder and the case and one that goes in one of the cylinder bolt holes. since i did not remove the cylinder itself the former O-ring can not be the one that is mentioned in 2.7.8 but i take it it may be the latter although it dose not look all that large to me but i guess "large" is a relative term. Plus i seen NO reason at all to remove any Dowel pins, but this is my first time swaping heads out.

Am i missing something or is this a misprint? ???
Any help would be great.

Don

Lead_Deficiency

I can only see one for the replacement of the cylinder?
Thats the only one i can see one in the Yamaha Web site micro fiche.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

just look up the bike

LD

EH

That O ring is about 1/2" across and forms the seal for high pressure oil pumped up to the cams. It fits around a locating dowel. You must install it upon reassembly. Is it stuck to the head? If it was missing to begin with, that is an oil leak at that location.

Buffo

the o-ring that goes around one of the dowel is still in the cylinder. it didnt come out when i removed the head. it seems in quite good shape, do i really need to replace it or can i reuse it?

Don

Walt_M.

If you can get one, I recommend you go ahead and replace it. If you reuse it and have a leak, it'll cost you another head gasket to replace it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

EH

I have reused O rings before. It is because I did not want to wait to get a new one. If you can wait to get a new one, thats the way to go. Walt is right about the head gasket, once you tighten it down you cannot reuse the gasket. your choice.

Buffo

i have to wait for the  gasket so i might as well wait for the o-ring too.

Tdub

Unless the O-ring is torn or deformed, there is no reason it cannot be reused. The same with the head gaskets. I have used them over several times on the race motors with not so much as a leak. As a matter of fact, the multi layer head gaskets call for you to torque the head, release the torque and retorque to spec. JMO Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race

jasonm.

Point of fact. We are dealing with a 20+ year old , compressed o-ring. All o-rings distort to conform the the area ?they are in the longer they are compressed in a hot environment. ?Race engines get torn down often that the o-ring is not old enough or compressed long enough to get distorted...yet. ?Best to replace the o-ring.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules