News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Gearbox Problem!!!!??

Started by Magnus Persson, May 09, 2005, 11:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Persson

HI Everyone..

I got a 82 of this bike..
And I have not been driveing it for a couple of years.
And I notice when I was looking at it couple days ago that 5 gear doesnt really work,.,,If I with my hand turn the rear wheel reverse with the 5 gear in,,Then it goes round wery easy and makes a klick sound,,

Anyone now anything about that,??

Magnus

Lucky

That's pretty much a new symptom for us, i believe, but the visions gearbox is usually pretty bullit proof, 7 if it turns out you need to replace something, you can go with used parts. shouldn't be a problem.

have you ridden it recently or did you just find this on the center stand?  i know clutch plates can freeze up if not used in a long time, & they can be unstuck. have you checked the oil & rear end fluid? you should change them if it's sat several years.  after that, get it running slowly around the lot, then a light ride, getting enough speed to shift into 5th gently, exercise 5th gear, it may just need some freeing up.

I wish i had better advice for you, but that is where i would start if i was you.

keep us informed, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

Prior to changing the oil on mine, it didn't shift well on the centerstand.  Change the oil, and I bet it will shift when it's moving.  Like Lucky said, the gear box is pretty bulletproof.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Rick G

It might be a bent shift fork , but that would not happen from sitting . Try changing the oil   and be sure your rotating the rear wheel when your attempting  to change gears
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Magnus Persson

Hmm,, I?m Still bite on my nails.. :o
I?m looking in the haynes manual,,  And I think I now
where this click sound comes from,  must be this gear dogs and the dog slots ant the for some reasons don?t really go in to each other.. And if so,, Why? could it be because shift fork is bended? or broken some how, or could the shift arm been bended and not make the shift fork not go to the end of the position of 5 gear.  I?m not complete satisfied over the exploded view of transmission.....  And I?m not really in mood to take the whole thing apart...  :-/ *sigh* :-/

ProfessorRex

Have you tried warming it up (by letting the engine run for a while) changing the oil, then riding it and shifting the gears.  Mine doesn't shift well on the centerstand, and it shifts wonderfully on the road.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...