Main Menu

Gas Tank

Started by sgrprincees, April 30, 2003, 02:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgrprincees

I just repaired my gas tank with Por 15 and was wondering what I should do about the dents in it.  I could just live with them I suppose, but I would like a nice looking motorcycle.  Would bondo work or do I need to buy a new tank?  One is maybe 1/4-1/2 inch deep.  Tell me if you have a tank for sale that is nice cosmetically.

RobTx

I just bondoed mine and am happy with the results.  You could take it to a body shop and have them pull the dent(s) out, but you'd end up spending as much as another tank would cost.  Here's a link on painting a tank with spray paint.  Looks impressive in the photos.  http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/sr500/paint.html
Rob

Rick G

Take a shot at it , Its  not that hard ro fill them  in (don't worry about having them pulled out , its not advisable)  finish off your Bondo with a product called  Green bull (brand name )  its a filler for small imperfections and scratches . You may find it under a differant name.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

Here are a few steps from an old bondo man:

1. Use a really good quality bondo.  I.e. The metal stuff (works just like bondo only with considerable fine metal filler) which is far stronger than regular soft bondo.

2. Take a grinder to rough up the metal to get good adhesion.  Take the paint down to the metal in the main fill area feathering the edge with a finer sandpaper and extending the bondo over the painted edge.

2. You may want to use the softer bondo for the second or final coat because it is easier to work with.  Make sure you use a grater to take off the top scum (and get the general shape) just after it hardens or you will have some serious work to do.

To Success!   ;)

Louie

crazyjimmy

Go for it, just remember bondo is an art form and can take a long time to get right. Please be aware that any imperfection you see will be magnified 10 fold when paint is applied. I know this from experience because I am a notoriously impatient!!
jim