News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Speedometer gear sending unit!

Started by 93stx, April 06, 2003, 09:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

93stx

I am new to the Vision world and I am try to get a hold of fixing my 82 Vision.. I first thought that the instrument cluster was bad,  but I unscrewed the speedometer cable from the wheel and hooked it up to a drill and the speed registered on the cluster so it must be the sending unit!!! Right???    So that brings me to Wanted!!  I think I need the gear unit and I  am going to try to get it on the bike this week!!

Thanks,
Nick .. Wisconsin

RobTx

You can always install a digital bicycle speedometer for about $25.  Much more accurate than the stock analog speedo.  Here's a link detailing how a bicycle speedo was installed on a BMW.  http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/trek-speedo-fix.shtml
Rob

Rick G

Its probably not  the sending gearbox on the front wheel! I have had a couple of Visions that had inner core a little to short. Connect it to the sending gear box and disconnect it from the speedo  and spin the front wheel (have someone sit on the bike  while it is on the center stand)
 and observe the cable core, if its turning its not the gear box!  My solution was to get a speedo core kit from my local auto parts store . They come with instructions and can be varied in length. i measured my old speedo cable core and made the replacement 3/32 (or so) longer .  I tried the bicycle speedo trick, but the wires that came with it were too short and you were not supposed to extend them . Your success may be better.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

93stx

I can push and pull the cable about a half of an inch in and out of the cable sleave... is this what you meant by it might be to short.... ?the speedo stoped working after my brother dumped the bike 2 years a go!!! ?All I know is that I am happy that it is not the instrument cluster!!

Good riding to all!!!!
Nick

Rick G

No, thats not what i meant. Any speedo cable can be pulled in and out. As i said run a spin test, make sure the cable is all the way in  by applying a little pressure against the core with your finger, WHILE  some one spins the front wheel in the normal rotation .  If the core turns  then the drive is ok .  it may be the speedo head, but the next step and cheapest repair is a new core just a little longer.you can test the speedo by removing the core by unscrewing the bottom connection at the drive and spinning it with a drill , (at low speed )  be sure the drill is turning the correct direction.all you do is gently finger tighten the chuck on the speedo cable core and slowley start the drill (a variable speed  battery drill works best)  have someone observe that  the speedo is indicating. So it the gear box is OK and the speedo head is OK  and the cable is not broken, then it must be too short. I have replace them with the auto parts cores and the work fine. I suspect that the cable housing was stretched in the crash and you could just buy a new cable assy. but for some reason that dosen't always work, hence the replacement cable core. which can be gotten from Napa of JC Whitney.  Hope this helps
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

Sory about that , I just reread you origional post.  you must have a bad /short cable , the gear boxes almost never fail.
Rick G

Lucky

The Napa Speedometer cable part # is 615-1795 price is $7.09 + local tax.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

93stx

I went to NAPA tonight...  don't tell checker Auto that!!!  LOL
And got the speedo cable and I will get to try it on wed night!!  Thanks for all of the help and I will let you all know how it goes!!

Thanks again..
Nick