News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

making gaskets

Started by ricks_83, March 09, 2003, 09:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricks_83

i used to have problems getting gaskets for my bike until i got a scanner and scanned them in, now then i take my cheap apollo printer then insert gasket material the right thickness and print out then cut out new gasket

Silver_Bullet

Rick, that's brilliant!  Why the heck had I not thought of it.  How thick is gasket material you've tried.  Humber sent me a pattern for the sidecase gasket, could I do this on my old Epson 600?
Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

ricks_83

i am not sure about other printers but my apollo will roll the material through for side covers  but it does not show up on black background unless it is color

ricks_83

oh yea if you put the gasket in plastic bag it keeps scanner clean

Lucky

I have tried this with the carb gaskets I make in the past, but the material is too thick for the printers, oh well :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

I tried the scanner thing for the stator cover gasket a while back but it is slightly larger than the 8.5 max width of the scanner and came out slightly off.  It is an early Umax but it did not work for me.

If anyone manages to get a scan that works to produce the right dimensions how about posting it on a website for others to download or try to print out, maybe some of the new scanners are better.

A good printer should do the job.  The hardest part seems to be finding that thin rubberized gasket material, not that the other stuff will not work but the rubber stuff is nice.

Not particularly successful in the scanning department,

Louie   :(

Lucky

you actually do not need to have the file floating around that is the exactly correct size, just have a vertical and horizontal line drawn on the gasket (or place a ruler on the scanner bed with the gasket), and specify the length of the line. ?

this way if you have say carb gaskets, you have 2 lines each measuring 2.5" long. ?you d/l the file, and resize the image & reprint it until the line on the print out measures exactly 2.5 then you know the gasket will be the proper size. ?at that point, you insert your gasket material to be printed.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

I just went and bought a clutch cover gasket from the local bike shop (about in install a set of euro gears).  27 bucks!!!  WHAT?!?!?  for a piece of gasket?  so i definately scanned that sucker and have it in my computer now (took two scans).

you know what would be a cool idea?  if either here (or maybe you lucky)..on the "technical" part of the site have scanned images of gaskets!!  ;D

good money saver :)  i think ill have to start a collection myself of gaskets.

Blake ;D Blake  :o Blake 8) Blake  :P Blake :) Blake ;) Blake  :D Blake

HAHA.. great job with the new board Ron!
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Tdub

I have sent a collection of the paper gaskets along with the head gasket to Cometic. Should be available soon, though it won't be as much fun as making your own. Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race