Pistons and rings

Started by Lucky, October 17, 2002, 05:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

pistons and rings needed for an 82, poss also starter clutch.
Thanks, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

George R. Young

Stock rings were available from Yamaha a couple of years ago when I needed them.

I had good results putting in rings on the existing pistons, with a light hone of the bore. The second ring was worn flat and vacuum was down to nothing. It's supposed to be chamfered to create vacuum on the down stroke.

Lucky

I need to replace one piston, here's the story:
I picked up the bike from Luter tonight, cosmeticly it's almost perfect, really looks new, he's the original owner and took merticulus care of the bike, no exhaust rust, no tank rust, guages are not faded, neither is any of the plastic.   i'd give it a 98% out of 100.

The problem is that 4 years ago he had a loose starter clutch and tore down the entire engine looking for the problem.  I discussed this with him and confirmed it even before i picked up the bike in case he then wanted to keep it. (he didn't.  The engine however is now completely apart.  Literaly in 7 boxes, so I have to completely re-assemble it, figure out valve clearences, etc. probably make new gaskets, etc. and order new parts where I can.

while taking the flywheel off he broke the skirt of one piston and broke off a ring on the same piston, so it must now be replaced.  I welcome opinions on mixing used parts like this, i'm guessing as long as the cylinder is honed and clearences are within specs, I should be ok.  If I cannot get new ring sets, I might have to make do with used ones in a honed cylinder...  anyone have an opinion on this? anyone ever do it this way?  If you've rebuilt a V engine before, I'd like to know who you are so I can pick your brain fairly often.   ;D

I'm going to copy this post to the general area too as it will now be a repair discussion.

--Lucky

Lucky

nevermind, i'm buying an engine from Jason, but thanks!
--Lucky