News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Ridin' in the rain

Started by Lucky, October 12, 2002, 12:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Having nothing to do today, and everyone being stuck inside on a Saturday because it's raining, I decieded to go play in the rain.
keep in mind that I really have nothing in the way of rain gear except a new pair of waterproof boots.
I put on a pair of nylon rain pants and rain jacket that i've had for years, thinking that it was better than nothing, helmet, gloves, goggles (over my glasses) and off I went.

I needed to stop at the vet's for medicine for the wifes cat, and after telling the girl behind the counter what I needed, my Vet comes out and askes me if i'm stupid.
Uhh,,, will I be tested on this later?
Actually I tell her, I'm smart, because everyone who rides should be able to be comfortable riding in the rain.
I ride in the rain so that If I go riding one day and get CAUGHT in the rain, I'll know what to do. it's called experience.  That was the last comment I had from her.

So I got back out on the bike and basicly rode back-roads all over town.  I'm fortunate enought to live in an area that has lots of twisties and rolling hills just as part of the normal terain.

And I got WET  ;D  Really wet!  Basicly soaked thru every artical I was wearing. Even those waterproof boots I just bought were FILLING UP with water.

But it was all good, I still had a blast!, I must have looked pretty nutty riding around in the rain, all wet, Singing to myself, (yes I do that... usually with the visior down...) Big ass Grin on my face....

After an hour or so, I stopped at Dunkin Dounuts for a 'regular'
and then went back out for another hour.  When I started to feel cold then I headed home. and had a nice bowl of soup.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Pepsibike

Hey Lucky :D
I did plenty of rainriding in years gone by,But mostly because of necessity.My bike was my only means of transportation during the first year of dating my wife,who lived 60 Miles away from me. :-/
At the time i had a '82 Yamaha Maxim 550. That bike got me through many weather situations from summer heat in the high 30s (Celsius) to 10 C below 0 and 2" of snow on the highway. :o I realy wish i had the fairing of my '83 V back then.
I got cought in the rain a couple of times this summer and found that the only thing that got wet while in motion where my boots and my visor. 8)
The heat vents are also excelent to extend the riding season. ;D
However i would not advise to much "expiriance" riding in the snow, in hindsighte i should have stayed in a motel. :P
About your vets remark, maybe they where refering to your recent illness. A decent rainsuit would be a wise investment.
Keeping it shiny side up.
Pepsybike

Lucky

I have the upper fairing but not the lowers, I have case guards instead.  would be nice, but no $$ for it.  the vet was talking about my riding in the rain she didn't know I was sick.  

and your right, probably not the best idea to go out without a rainsuit, but again, no $$ for it, and if I was planing to go any distance, i'd be sure to have one first.  as I was close to home, I figured, when I started to get cold (when it stopped being fun) i'd head in. :)
--Lucky

George R. Young

I only ride in the rain when I have to, but then I like to stay dry. So I use

1) a proper rain suit, Dry Rider, 2-piece
2) rubber boots, the kind you can wade in
3) rubber gloves, the things you use to keep chemicals off your hands

With this combination of equipment, I keep dry with only a 1/4 fairing pretty well indefinitely..

The only danger is convulsing others with laughter, particularly other bikers when I wave with my tacky aqua-colored rubber gloves.

Lucky

I have found that I have a real issue particuarly with gloves & boots.  I find it really hard to ride when I cannot feel the controls properly.  For me this means being able to feel the shifter with my toe (foot?) and really thick gloves make it more difficult to feel the throttle.  Perhaps it's a level of intergration I feel with the bike.... anyway, I do like to go to the bike shops and try stuff on, but when I find stuff that fits me well, it usually has a price tag of over $200...

You know that old adage about buying a $300 helmet because you have $300 head?  the only helmets I find comfortable and secure are the $60 in the hardware store of all places.  I have tried every lid on in all 3 of the local shops, not really happy with any of them... I saw an ad in the paper one day for helmets at the local Benny's hardware store. on sale for $60  so i went to check them out.  they have the same shell and lining as those expensive Shoie's, are American made, and are DOT approved.  plus they FIT. and fit well. so I guess I have a $60 mellon... oh well :)