i got a vision for $200, butitneedsaEngineRebuid

Started by Devon VanDuynhoven, October 08, 2004, 04:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devon VanDuynhoven

;DI JUS BOUGHT A YAMAHA VISION 82 FOR 200 BUCKS, IM FULLY RESTORING IT... But it needs an engine re-build, because it has a possible spun crankshaft bearing, or a bent crankshaft... My plan was too take it apart and get it mechined... but i have no skill in this, is it hard... easy... any info...

I also need either a new tank, or too get the rust out of mine and coat it with plastic... but my budget is very VERY tight...

I am in London Ontario

h2olawyer

Hi Devon -

Congratulations on buying what we all here (mostly, at least) think is a fantastic bike!

The bottom ends on Vision motors are fairly robust.  Your problem may be as simple as loose balancer nuts and / or a loose starter clutch.  Both are common Vision problems and have been discussed (cussed?) in depth here.  You can also find more info at //www.xz550.com.  Lucky has done tons of work to put together a great set of instructions for fixing the most common problems of the V.  Many Visions were scrapped by these simple, cheap to fix problems.

Most of us have also had the rusty tank syndrome.  POR-15 makes the best quality tank liner & is much easier & cheaper than finding a good, useable tank.

You need to have either the Haynes manual or the factory maintenance manual - preferably both.  Also take time and read all the previous posts in the forum.  You'll learn lots about restoring & modifying your new toy.

Hope these suggestions help you get your project started!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

Hi Devon,

Congrats on coming to the Vision side of the motorcycle continuum!

H2O's comments are pure wisdom. It's easy to assume the worst when it comes to a strange noises in the motor. Mind you, I did acheive the amazing feat of destroying a crank bearing inmy first Vision engine... (Nothing to be proud of, but, whatever).

Lots of us here have numerous parts lying around everywhere in our shed / garage / bedroom (or maybe others are more organized than me) so stay in touch, it's better to save money and ride around on your finished project than spend too much and still have parts missing.

Louis (in Ottawa)
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Rick G

It may well be a loose balancer shaft nut and thats easy to remedy. If however, it is a bad crank , then , I suggest you use the bike for parts and get a second one to ride. I Have 8.5 Visions (or whats left of them )  you can't have too many Visions!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

louthepou

When I grow up, I want to be just like you, Rick. Although I am still short some 4.33 Visions, I am not giving up!

Devon, indeed, you can find a sound runner here and there occasionnaly for not much (even in Canada...). Be patient, and look around... A couple of weeks ago, I went to Montreal (actually, St-Luc-sur-Richelieu, but who knows where that is?) and got a pair for 500. One's an 82 runner, the other one is an 83 with a dead engine... You can guess what I'll be doing over the next few months.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic