NEED Exhaust thingy.

Started by Blake, June 09, 2003, 06:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Ok... doing a home made custom exhaust..  going to merge the front two exhaust into a bigger single one to run down the right side, and merge the rear cylinder exhaust ports and run that to the pipe on the side....  that...  or the single pipe from the rear cylinder, run that out the right side too, and run that straight back..sort of drag pipes on a cruiser.  Had nothing better to do today (oddly enough vision runs fine..so i have nothing to fix anymore :(  )  so i took the exhaust off the vision.  Left the front headers on, and the rear collector on (shoved a 2" piece of car exhaust pipe i had lying around on it).  Started it up..  i will honestly say that with just the headers on, it sounded pretty damn intimidating.  sounds a LOT better than my 98 yamaha v-star 650, and very much better than my dad's 2002 suzuki intruder 1500.  since it was cold, i had to put the idle on..  sitting around 3,000 it was pretty loud (was in the garage with the door and windows open..on the center stand-rear wheel was off) then after a few seconds (literally) i took off the choke and it idled around 1,000 rpm...i almost wet my pants.  it was such a beautiful V-twin sound.  i didnt rev it up past the 3,000 because it was just too loud in the garage, but hopefully tomorrow ill get a chance to take it outside and see what it sounds like in open air.

As you can tell - yes..i would like to turn this into a cruiser, and with the whole summer ahead of me, what better time to start.

but back to the point of the message.   What i need is 2 of the exhaust connector things that go into the rear cylinder, that the rear collector clamps into.  I have two that were pretty bad (the pipe section-rusted pretty bad) that i cut up today to make use of the part that actually mates to the engine, which isnt in too bad of a shape..  thats the important thing.  If anyone has any extra ones laying around that they'd be willing to part with let me know so we can work something out.  All that really important is the part that mates to the engine (thick chromed funnel looking part) because thats all i need to salvage from it.  It can be rusty or whatever, mine are.  I just need something that i can weld pipe to.

Thanks

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

z537z

Sorry bud I can't help ya, I'd like to sell those with the engine if I could. Does anybody want it? Arg runnin out of garage space :).

If you need anything else with your chopper job though, I mean ANYTHING (I got it all! Minus a few things I've sold) lemme know!

Send pics sometime for us all to see.

sander@wpi.edu

_z

Blake

What do you mean anything?  hehe.. ;D..im always lookin..  do you mean vision stuff? or other bike stuff.?

I went and bought some 1-1/4" pipe today to start tryin to make an exhaust..  took it home, tried cutting it on the bandsaw.. realized the metal cutting blade wasnt on it.  and i cant find it..grr.. so now i have to go hunt one down so i can cut up the pipe..that should be fun.  all in all.. if i could just find myself a pipe bender and get my hands on a welder (havent been able to catch neighbor..im tempted to go buy one.  saw two at home depot today-wire feed, one was some 100 model and the other was 3200..  100 was 100 amps, and 3200 was 140amp i think..but we'll see)  But once i have those its just a matter of cutting pipe, bending it and welding it back up.  I'll defiantely take pictures.  hopefully i can cover the entire process.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

z537z

If it's cutting metal you want to do, you're probably ok using an acetylene torch to make the cut, as it'll fit inside another pipe to hide the less perfect cut.

Bandsaws are sweet, though I'd reccomend a chopsaw (mitre saw) to make a nice cut (using an appropriate blade) if you know someone with that stuff. Guarantees a square, even cut.
Or bust out your 4" grinder with a diamond blade on it, you can get a pretty straight cut with those too. If you've got any of that :P.

I think a 100 amp (guy from work just bought a 100 amp MIG for 200$, hasn't used it yet though) would suit you fine considering the relatively small thickness of exhaust systems. Better to take a while than to burn through.

Yeah I'm junkin the 82 vision, see the post "everything must go" that I put up for details! Good luck

_z