wont start anymore(please read)

Started by Ryan Campbell, August 30, 2003, 12:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Campbell

I need help, i just bought an 82 vision, i get it home and it starts after some cranking and some new gas, then we turn it off, then it starts again, but harder (on the starter) then we turn it off and it wont start, the starter makes a weird noise.  So we take the starter out and clean it off and all it will do is spin, the gear inside (starter clutch) doesnt always grip, sometimes it does, other times it doesnt? is this the problem, or is the starter just not turning fast enough to make the clutch catch.  I need whatever parts that are broken, and i also need the two peices of plastic that cover the coolant tank as well as the peice of plastic that goes under the seat on the left side
any help you can give me would be great, my email is
Ryan.b.campbell@maine.edu
Thank you
Ryan

Walt_M.

Sounds like the battery is weak and maybe you have a charging system problem. Also possible that the starter clutch has a problem. Look at some of the posts on the general board and you should get some answers.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

I 'm sure you started clutch is bad , Start your repair by buying a Haynes manual, then remove  the left  cover (the round one with the 3/4 inch  plastic cover in the centre )  . you will  need a very stout puller and a heavy hammer  ,onec you get in there . Go to luckys site,  all the instructions are there. And, ask question here.
While your in there you should  tighten  and locktite the ballancer shft nut  as well as inspecting the stator. If you do all this correctly you will never need to go in there again!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

just a note, do both nuts on the balancer shaft & drive gear on the crank.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black