Main Menu

Avons in the wet

Started by Extent, March 04, 2005, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extent

Anyone have problems getting the front tire to hook up on wet pavement?  I just tooke it out on a nice medium sized ride today on some wet-ish pavement and I noticed the front end felt very skitterish, particularly when leaned over.  I've got supervenoms on, 100 (I think it was) up front and 110 on the rear.  They've only got about 3k miles on them.  It might just be stemming from a little headshake, but I'm not so sure. It's also only my second real ride since my crash, so it might just be me.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Rick G

I had no problem in the wet in either MN or OR.  and that was with cheap tyres. I have Dunlops on now and I'm not that impressed, wet or dry!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

I have supervenoms on too, and noticed they seem a little skittsh unless theyre nice and warmed up.. but they hold nice and predictable.  I maybe only have 1000 miles on them, but as long as you dont push it hard in the rain they'll definately hold.  Still the best tire i have ever tried on this bike! ;D

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

jasonm.

Super V's on my '82 are fine all the time. Only got stuck once in any serious rain. No worries. Just don't put too much air in. 28-30# front works good. I have a big Vetter fairing so I put about 30-32# in front. Or maybe the fairing keeps the front planted. If you have any headshake before the Avons...I'd fix that first.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

MotorPlow

When I first put the Super Venoms on the bike, it was very unpredictable in the rain/wet.  Now that they are pretty scrubbed in, with about 1K miles on them, they are a little better.  The Avons are super sticky on good pavement, they are not that great in wet/gravel situations.

jasonm.

One more thing...anything is better than Dunlops. After all these years, miles and bikes...I'll never put a Dunlop on again. The list of negatives is too long for here.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

I've installed my last pair of dunlops , they suck!!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

joevacc

I am about to get rid of a pair of Avon's that have 6,000 miles on them.  I have never had a pair of tires last that long before!  I think that these tires absolutely need 500 or so miles on them to break in.  I have had the same experience when mine were new.

PS Mine are not illegal yet!  I am just going to get a set of freshys for the up coming season. ;D

JV
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Superfly

I understand about being nervous after a crash!  Did you have a accident on your bike?  After my "incident" I was feeling the way a new rider does, but it wore off!! I am still a bit squeemish on the hard turns though :o
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Extent

Ya I had my bike slide off a bit of an embankment on Trinity road out in Napa 3 weeks ago in the rain.  Not really much damage to her, but not knowing exactly what I did wrong kinda freaks me out more than the actual accident did.  That and waiting 6 hours in the rain for a trailer wasn't too much fun.  What really sucks is one of my buddies just totaled his (1month old :-/ ) bike in exactly the same turn in nearly the same place this weekend.  He's quite a bit more freaked out than I was.

I don't have much fun whenever I end up scraping things, for some reason whenever I scrape it's usually in a 15 mile hairpin and my boot catches and it throws my foot off the peg.  Not good for stability :P  Makes me nurvous about weighting the inside peg when I'm turning, which dosen't make sharp turns any easier  ::)
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.