melting connector

Started by fiddlesticks, May 09, 2005, 06:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddlesticks

So I find a connector in the beginning stage of melting. Not the one from Stator with 3 white wires, but the other end with the black red and brown. Went ahead and put my spare R/R on and soldered all the connections for good measure. It seems like the melting was starting at the black (ground) wire. My question -  is soldering them enough or do I have to track the ground wire back to make sure its properly grounding? Where does it go after entering the harness? And how do I test it to make sure that current isnt like bouncing back to the r/r or something?  My main concern now that the connection has been soldered is why was it happening in the first place. Dirt/water or something more sinister?

Thanks
Fiddlesticks
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Walt_M.

The connector is(was) overheating because of high resistance due to a bad connection. You could have cleaned the connector instead of soldering but would have had to do it again fairly soon if you didn't coat it with no-oxide grease. You might want to take a closer look at the 3 white wires from the stator as well. The other end of the black wire is tied to the rear coil mount, I think, and could use cleaning. No worry about current 'bouncing back', it doesn't work that way.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Cdnlouie

Did this happen with the new battery or an old one?  Another issue about connections is the fact that the crimped end is also a connection that corrodes and the only way to clean old connectors is to replace them.  Resistance can build up in the crimped section and most people miss this aspect.  It does not hurt to clean the blade (this is higly desirable) but it does not necessarily alleviate the bad connection.

Get Connected!

Louie   ;)

Lucky

that connector melting is very common. so much so, that it's why i allways reccomend soldering BOTH connectors on the R/R.

you've done that & shouldn't have to worry about it further. the only other thing i reccomend is moving the R/R to the passenger footpeg to keep it from overheating.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

fiddlesticks

That would be a new battery Can Louie.

Fidd
1 Black 82 Virago 750

Rick G

As I remember it( I'm at home and the parts are in storage) the RR has brass connectors and the stator  has iradate zink. Sooner or later Galvanic corrision sets in  and  increases resistance  and then things start to heat up.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kiawrench

hmmm galvanic corrosion,,,,, i see a mariner in that one,,, lol
 ? ? true to the very end, mixing of connector metals will create a very ugly mess,
 ? ?now that my ride is sort of,, uh,,,no longer down for the season, i am stripping the ?spare harness, re-laying my own, new wire, better connectors, NOTHING will be zinc plated connection( with exception of parts that cannot change).
 ? ? am going to be celebrating MYRTLE BEACH SPRING BIKE RALLY, have locked my keys for my bike  away, only on four  wheels for the next 15 days, rain or shine .
 ? ?anyone coming to the area, give me a call, save you the hotel bill . Oh, I have taken the next two weeks off, fixing my rear brakes, then off to be a metric biker in the middle of a harley party!! (all visions welcome,most of these guys ?have had one,ridden one or knows someone that did ).Well, that and i did sign up for hospitality team, providing transport for those with just a bit too little blood in the alcohol system . finding lodging,emergency bike repairs ,etc. ?tool box is loaded on my bike, cell phones charged up and all my needed numbers are saved for rapid use.... going to be a big one this time!!!!  
    anyone dropping in, if you need any help in myrtle beach- anyone wearing orange t-shirt with MBHT on the back is there for bikers, all help can be had from any of them .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

fiddlesticks

Hey guys. When good stators go bad, ( I feel a made for tv movie here somewhere) what is it that causes it. I have the original one from my bike in my basement. The whole block is there actually. Pistons were seized so a replacement engine was found and put in. I am attempting to do the charging tests but I have a feeling its going to turn out to be the stator. My question is what is the chance that that stator will be good. Is it related to high mileage making them kaput or is it sitting for 20 odd years that causes it? This stator has literally been sitting since about 84-85. Seeing as I dont have the funds for a new electrex jobby I would like to know if there is anway to test it before I tear them both apart and put it on the v.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

Lucky

test page "B" of the Electrex test will test the stator on the bike before you pull it, just unplug it for the tests.

why the stator fails is the perfect example of a 'vicious circle' the connector gets a small (probably invisible) amount of corrosion between the contacts, which causes heat, which accelerates the corrosion which makes more heat...  till total failure.

Rick G

I removed the stator cover on my previous engine and examined  the 18 month old eletrex in there . Its fairly dark , not black but a very dark brown. The one in the racer was amber coloured  so I used it .  Last summer in Oregon , during a heat wave  of 106f,   I did some oil temp testing, by riding up in to the Cascades on hiway 22 to Detroit lake and them up Brittenbusch road . I flogged it on Brittenbusch road about as hard as I could , 90 mph on the straight and  as hard in the twisties as this old racer can ride. I recorded oil temps of 248 f  I kid you not! I still say that the V needs an oil cooler. I talked to a HD rider the same day and he was recording temps of 215f and mentioned that when he needed an oil change it went up to 230f.  
The heat from the stator is supposed to carried away by the oil , but when the oil is that hot , I believe  eithe rthe heat is not carried away  OR heat is actually added to the stator.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

QuoteI still say that the V needs an oil cooler.

You know i made one for my bike Rick?

fiddlesticks

[quote test page "B" of the Electrex test will test the stator on the bike before you pull it, just unplug it for the tests.

quote]

Yeah but the stator Im thinking of using is on an engine that is seperated from a bike. Doesnt it need to be connected to the battery for this test?
1 Black 82 Virago 750

Lucky

nope, they are continuity tests