News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

ot: ghost town ride...

Started by ArrrGeee, April 03, 2004, 02:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArrrGeee

MotorPlow

This is actually cool.  It's been passed around the local riding list for a couple of months.  She just added some new pics, it's pretty cool.  A little too extreme for me...

Chris

Paul_Jungnitsch

It is an amazing read. Such a great thing the web makes such stories possible.

Lucky

I think after a couple of rides like that i'd be a head case...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

admin

heh, I'm with you there, to say the least.
I'm glad this information is getting out to the rest of the world.
what blows me away is why do we still have nuclear power plants.  perfect example of the intelligence level of some of the people around here... they want to put wind powered windmills in the nantucket sound area, they think there is enough wind and a fairly stable environment for them to create enough power so that it can be added to the power grid for this area. There is a nuclear power plant less than 40 miles away, this won't get it shut down because the windmills won't generate enough power at first to make any huge difference but over time it should reduce costs and as the technology improves, some time in the future it may possibly replace it.
now here comes the amazing part. The people in this area say they don't want them, it will spoil the "view" of nantucket sound, it "may interfere with the birds migrating through here",
and "boats may have a hard time navigating around them."

Huh?  wtf ?  currently between the existing power plants that are nuclear and that burn coal, the pollution and threat of major disaster is way more significant than a few birds slamming into the windmills. (btw they are to be spaced a half mile apart.)  
I swear people can be crazy sometimes, worrying more about gay marriages and a little inconveience for pleasure boaters than life itself.

<rant mode off>

LOL

I'd say she's got a lot of guts to continue riding through there after seeing for the first time. either that or a death wish.

-Ron

rick_nowak

nimby (not in my back yard) is alive and well in the Northeast.  i drive through connecticut on my way to boston every few weeks.  for a state with so much money the cellphone service sure sucks.  must be something about the antennas
enjoy your day

admin

QBS

Elana reminds me a lot of Trinity from The Matrix.  Except that Elana is better looking(IMHO).  Talk about living life at the edge.  Cheers.

Walt_M.

I don't think there is enough surface area on earth to use wind power to generate all the electrical power that would be needed if we shut down all the fossil and nuclear power plants. And nuclear IS the way to go. Chernobyl was a bad design that originated from a closed government-run society. The plants in the free world are safer now than ever before and will continue to get better.
 By the way, when Chernobyl caught fire, the Soviets made a call to a power plant in Germany, kind of a 'how's the weather and the wife and kids, and, by the way, when your nuclear reactors catch fire, how do you put them out?!!!!!!!
Whale oil beef hooked!

GA_Wolf

I agree with Walt...nuclear power is clean and safe with proper design, construction and personnel training.
I was in the Navy for 20 years, and never heard of any serious mishaps in any of our vessels.  At least not caused by the nuclear plant.  It comes from good design, good materials...no sub-contracting to sub-contractors to sub-contrators...strict QA and massive amounts of training and on-going training....

ArrrGeee

like they would actually tell you if they did.

irregardless or whether they are safe or not, as thinking intelligent human beings we should be coming up with better sources of energy.  Hmmm....
besides, if a nuclear power plant accident happened, it's no big deal, it'll clear up in a couple thousand years...

Silver_Bullet

I agree with QBS about Elana, I also think it should be Pulitzer Prize winner.  Seldom do I see or read things that evoke serious emotion in me.  And I'm pretty jaded.  At least the story is getting out to the rest of the world.  The best we can hope is that it makes enough people think and inspires serious action.

Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

Bruce

Quite the disturbing ride.. Does make you stop and think, thats for sure..

Would be something to see..

Bruce.