News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Why?

Started by Lucky, May 17, 2002, 06:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

anyone have any theorys as to why the scavenger hoses (the ones that go from the airbox to the valve covers) are such radicly different sizes? ?has anyone noticed what a big difference there is between the two fittings?

the only thing i could think of is that one cylinder (the rear)might have a certain amount of blowby built in because it would get less cooler air and thus more expantion...??

just a thought, and either i have too much time on my hands, (not likley) or there really is something to this that should be considered when doing a rebuild...

by the way, i once kinked the hose to the rear cylinder when i threw the airbox on quick for a test ride after doing some work, and got a nasty surprise 30 feet out of the driveway when one of the half round plugs in the valve cover gasket blew out and oil sprayed EVERYWHERE.  i just poped it back in wiped off the oil and straightened out the hose, all was well, but something i will not forget again!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ArrrGeee

well, first of all I've never noticed that there was a difference
in sizes. Just a thought, it's probably for some type of scavenger effect. Where regular engines these day's have
a PCV valve and a breather to scavenge and recycle blowby gases, if you apply a certain amount of vacuum to to ports
of different sizes you would probably get a one directional
flow. I'm no engineer but the official way to test a PCV system
according to the good folks at General Motors ( many moons ago) was to put a piece of paper over the breather side of
the valve cover and see if it would stay held in place by vacuum.

So, having 2 different sized openings on the valve cover seems logical to me.

ymmv

-Ron