News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Is this Illegal?

Started by zayanteman, February 10, 2003, 12:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zayanteman

;D ;D ;D

Just re-painted my license plate so it would match the bike more.  Before, it was a blue backround with yellow letters/numbers.  I changed it to a gloss black backround with bare aluminum letters/numbers.

The plate looks vintage, so I think it'll seem "ok" to any cop who comes up behind me.  I would put a picture up for you to see, but don't want my plate id on the net with the question:  "Is this Illegal?" attached to it.

The plate is also mounted sideways, so after I get an aftermarket exhaust, I will (technically) have 3 things "illegal" with my bike.

hehe.

RobTx

I would guess that any alteration would be illegal.  Painting it a different color is just like having a sign taped to your back that says "Pull me over".  In Texas, license plates use paint that reflects light so that you can read them a long way off.  Plates have to be turned in every 6 or 7 years because the reflective material wears away.  So, in Texas, anything that causes the plate not to be reflective is illegal.  Where are you located?
Rob

bikeseamus

Zay   It's illegal everywhere. You're about to meet the police, everywhere you go. You'll see, kiddo.

Lucky

No, not illegal at all, in fact, you should sandblast the plate, it'll shed more "heat" that way.
While your at it, you might want to consider pulling off the turn signals, lots of drag you know, and that radiator is a lot of weight, it should go too.
--Lucky
PS, I almost forgot, if you put Helium in the tires instead of air, the tread will last longer.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

zayanteman

In California, license plates of the 80s and before didn't have any reflective anything.  They were plain-ole DULL paint.   Blue w/ Yellow letters.  Before that Black with Yellow letters (I think), and other combos before that.  So Black with Silver letters just looks like an old plate.  The letters/numbers are really big (this was before 7 digit plates, people), and it really does have that vintage look.

The paint finished drying, I put it on, and Dang! it looks good.  Makes the bike look like it's worth a thousand more.  
(That would bring it up to fifteen-hundred!)

If I were taking your advice, I'd sandblast my tires to give them more surface area (helps in the turns).  Just kidding.  I did take off the turn signals though.  And I've been pulled over.  The cop didn't care.  

Here in California, where motorcycles can split lanes and be ridden year-round, cops don't care so much about blokes like me who take off their turn signals, mount their plates sideways, and run race exhausts on the street.  Most cops who are able to catch up to a biker (to pull 'im over) are on a bike themselves (a Beemer RT), ride themselves, and care more about your safety as a fellow rider than they do about collecting revenue for their department.  

Here in California, Mr. CHP on the BMW looks over at you to see which bike you are on, not how fast you are going.  I've had at least ten cops behind me see my sideways plate and not once pull me over for it.  And I've been pulled over for going too fast, and the cop told me to turn my plate normal "at your earliest convenience."  He didn't really care.  

Here in California, bikers mount license plates so far under the rear-end of their bikes that you can't see the plate up close with a flashlight.  I've seen plates mounted at such an angle towards the ground that they can't be read when you're looking directly at them.  Almost every sportbike here doesn't have turn signals (that stick out into the wind and create drag).  They have integrator kits on the rear, and no signals up front.

Here in California, the roads are so dry, I probably don't need to sandblast my tires after all.  But the helium should help.  I'll try it.  If I hold my breath, will that reduce the overall weight of the bike?

One more thing,  drag increases exponentially in relation to speed.  This means that since we can go faster out here on our warm, dry roads, we need to have less turn signals and license plates sticking out into the wind.  How often can any of you hit 100mph on a February ride?  This is exactly why you can't understand.

Rick G

Hi Zay, You can't B/S a B/Ser, I spent 32 years in SoCal and theres not 1 benevolent cop in the whole state, sooner or later, your in for a world of hurt!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Silver_Bullet

Hi Zay,  Please don't come to Louisiana with the "modifications" you've described.  I personally know many of the State Police officers and they DON'T understand.  They too ride bikes(Harleys) and are more often towing them behind a L.S.P. pickup/trailer combo, not riding.  Many of the cities here, mine included, frown upon license plate alterations/decorating and removal of required equipment.  It's great to be creative and making your machine look cool, but there are limits.  Yeah, I know, spoken like a cop, but I can't help it.  Have fun, stay safe.  If you ever do make it here, look me  up, I'll see you get best food and show you some great roads to ride!
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.