Member Question

Started by admin, April 12, 2003, 06:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

ok guy's here is a new addition to the forum, check it out.
 -Ron

Cdnlouie

It would be helpful to me to know the advantages or disadvantages of setting up a members only site before casting a vote on such an issue.

Thank-you for asking our opinion,

Louie

bikeseamus

To what advantage?  Excluding people will help who?

Humber

I am with you JIM, no need to ban access to those who are not registered... the only man that should be banned, that is Sadddam, is probably gone, so no reason to worry....
nie ma podpis?w

QQBS

Becoming exclusionary will benefit the Visionary?  If so, how?  Whats broke?  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Cheers.

rick_nowak

not sure of the benefits.  if ron needs some money for expenses we should all send him a little.  sort of like the posts on craigslist.  hey ron , you take paypal?
enjoy your day

RobTx

I wouldn't mind contributing a couple of bucks to the cause via Paypal.  I'm not really interested in the printed newsletter.  Ron, how much space on your server does the forum take up.  I might be able to host in on my webpage.  Just an idea.
Rob

ArrrGeee

ok, let me answer some questions here.
Please try not to read more into this than what it is.

currently the benefits of joining the club remain at
a member number and 4 newsletters. Now they haven't
been put out in the most timely fashion lately, but that is currently it.

someone has asked me to remove or change a statement from the front page concerning the newsletters, many people have paid dues in order to receive the newsletter and there are some who do not have access to the forum\website.  I don't personally produce the club newsletter, I maintain this site.
In order to hopefully better provide what people want out
of the club, I've added a way for people to vote on various questions. maybe the next question to have a vote on is
the idea of continuing to have a newsletter...

this site does not and never will "ban" anybody, unless they
request being banned :)

This is not about money. the club does have funds from the membership and this may in the future be put towards site
costs but it is not an issue at the moment. I do like the paypal comment tho'

The only real issue at the moment for me is our hosting provider,
that we may have to get together and firebomb.... (just kidding)

our site space situation is fine currently so that is also not an issue.

so, relax, vote early and often, send in a list of questions that
you would like to see voted on...  you can email them directly to me (I love this address)  webmaster@ghetti.net or ron@ghetti.net

in other news, with many thanks to Lucky, I've added a parts resource catalog page that is up and running now.
it works like this, you can add parts to the databank and use it
as a resource for hard to find parts, substitute parts etc.
as an online lookup without having to call a dealer or search through pages of text to find it. as time progresses we should end up seeing most if not all of the vision part info online. hopefully it will be a useful tool.

What else, oh yeah back to the hosting provider, my apologies to everyone on the slowness, they've told me they are doing updates and working with their upstream network provider to try and get the performance back up. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt currently and am postponing any decisions on it for
a week or so.

Lastly, QBS: your posting problem will be solved if you
just click on the "login" link at the top of the screen and
enter your username and password.  <grin>

-Ron

dtknox

Ron,

You hav edoen a great job with the site. I found it about 6 month after you set it up and signed up as a member, later that year. I did not renew when I figured out that club was not funding the WEB site.  

The new letters were interresting and I did purchased some of the back back issues, but I only recieved two  or three in the next 12 months. If it would help the WEB site or to keep the group going in some other way, I would be glad to pay to be a memeber.

As for having a memebr only area, I do not thing that it would helpfull.

Thank you

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

Kenny

Hi Ron,
      I raised the question about the membership fee's and four newsletters as I felt with the one line club that a newsletter  was not required. I'm not sure what one could find to write about that hasn't been said in the Forum.
  As for the Membership fee I think thats great and should be used for the Club and supplies required to run it and or at some time I suppose I would like to see a North American  XZ550 rally, just a thought.
   Once again I really enjoy the Riders OF Vision site and appreciate the work you've put into it.
                  Thanks Ken Stuart    
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

helmsman65

The Riders of Vision Forum is a excellent source of information on these classic bikes...without it, I doubt I would have bought another after 20 years....if not for those with more experience with this bike....I am not sure I would have taken one on.  I would not have joined until I had a bike...and probably would not have bought one had I not had access to all the Forum had to offer.....a 'Member Only' section might drive the most experienced owners into it....and possibly reduce the chance that former Vision owners...or potential new Vision owners might consider getting one.....this forum survives because people still want these bikes....and this forum helps insure that they do.

As for membership...I think a small contribution is a small price to pay for the information provided.  Membership needs to be clarified.....several months ago I sent a check for $10 to ROV.
I have yet to hear anything or receive any newsletters.  I
must confess that since I dont balance my checkbook...I cant say if the check has been cashed or not.  I agree that with all that is in the Forum...the newsletter may be unnecessary and I would join/contribute either way....but I do thing some kind of confirmation of membership is needed.

Whatever happens...you are doing a most excellent job with this.

Helmsman65

bikeseamus

Helsman's articulation and Humber"s traditional "cut to the chase" style have again raised the bar on the room temperature style of this site.  All you Apprentices of BIKES ...or ...ARTICULATION......read these guys.....By the way...............HUMBER................My   Dear  Recently departed DAD  was  a WW2  ACE.   He picked up a junk Messerschmit  BF 109  EF.         I   Tuned and serviced it with many friends who 0nly RESPECT those who they hated to KILL.. with ONLY  Superior weapons, NOT  superior courage..............Those who charged them with  HORSES..........THE    POLISH.   German Armor HATED to kill such  COURAGOUS  WARRIORS. They CRIED and  wrote letters home to their parents  about their misconduct......THESE PEOPLE WERE CHRISTIANS?......Whatever happened to  THOU SHALL NOT KILL?    OUR  DISGRACEFUL .PRESIDENT CHENEY STILL WORKS FOR HALLIBURTON. If he thinks he can start an OIL colony in the MIDDLE EAST,  and DISRESPECT the homeland of the BIBLE< and lie to  EVERY single WORKING AMERICAN., AND BLASPHEM  the BIBLE< then he gisgraces EVERYTHING  the USA stands FOR.....That Cocaine headed  alcolic cloistered prostitute of the QUIET giant halliburton. GWB....In case you were wondering...I'm SP trained, But the big problem I had back in 70 was trying to figure out how a little tiny chickenshit Agricultural Nation could entirely tie up in knots and smash the single most powerful military power in history?  Not afraid to die to kill the guy who just crested the hill and decided to use your family for target practice......Get IT?

admin

Hmmm... interesting comments.
ok, the poll has been closed, I was hoping for
a few more votes than what we got, thats why
it was left open for as long as it was.
based on the board membership and the club membership
not very many of you actually voted.

I'm still accepting questions for upcoming polls,
so if anyone wants to submit questions, go for it.

-Ron