News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Starter seal

Started by Dave T., December 09, 2001, 12:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T.

Where is it?  ??? I assume it is an oil seal with a spring. I just got around to draining all fluids and I am going through the motor (except the bottom end). I have the starter all apart and I found lots of grease (not motor oil) around the stator and armature. Is the seal behind the 6003 bearing on the main drive gear shaft? I know this grease won't effect the permanent magnets and armature but it can't be good for the commutator and brushes.

Should I just clean out the grease and just regrease the front drive gears?

Thanks in advance...   ;D
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

jasonm.

when the starter has been disassembled. The seal is right there. On the other side of the ball bearing you mention. The stock seal DOES NOT have a spring. That's the problem. With that much grease in yours. Someone may have already replaced the seal???
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Dave T.

I assume you mean the starter seal is between the main drive gear and the only bearing on the output shaft. There was no seal at all there, just a shielded bearing. I wonder if this bearing was an open one on a stock Vision and someone put a sheilded bearing in instead.  ;D

Rebuild is going good so far, but I couldn't split the front head from the cylinder. I had to bring it to my local dealer (God Forbid!!!  :o).
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Dave T.

I have my starter apart again since I ordered a 20x35x6mm oil seal with spring. I still cannot find where is goes?! Does it go between the shielded roller bearing and the output gear (won't fit there) or between the roller bearing and the double gear output reducer? The seal cost only $3 but shipping was $5.75! If anyone wants this oil seal or can tell me where it goes, please do.

I think a better idea is to replace the shielded roller bearing on the output shaft with a double sealed roller bearing (6003 NTN, Grainger #5U495 $14.68). I may or may not do this.

1LostVrider

hey, i had the same problem with finding the seal, i dont know bout all the technical jargon but the oil seal is located behind the bearing and the final drive that goes into the engine. I had trouble taking the bearing off from the inside cause the outter shell is not too solid. I got the whole thing out by knocking the final drive in from the outside, then the bearing popped off and i had to rip the seal out. after that its easy to put everything back together.

EP

Dave T.

Found it! Thanks LVR. I just replaced the seal. I did notice the original one was a 20-35-5mm. The 20-35-6mm seal with spring is tighter fit than the original one. The original one may have been so bad that it didn't even seal anymore. I wonder why www.bikebandit.com website didn't have the seal in their blow up of the starter. It looked like an original Yamaha microfiche of the XZ.

I still think the double sealed bearing is the way to go (if the old shielded bearing is shot). I don't know if you could leave out the oil seal or not. It may hold the output shaft in place. Maybe a spring type 20-35-5mm oil seal would work too.

I have my valve shims from ordering. Now I can get my top end job done! I think the old XZ is going to rip!  :D

chuckwsh

i have 4 starter seals left over if anyone needs them i'll drop one in an envelope send me whatever, they were like 5$ or so each.

I need the part number for the oring that seals the starter in the motor, it was dripping slowly after the rebuild, i never replaced the oring so took it out and found I had pinched it putting it back together, so didn't want it leaking on my floor while awaiting its new owner! i'll call the dealer today and see if he has it also..cmon now someone needs another boat anchor to play with no???  8)

Walt Miller

I just replaced the starter 'O' ring on mine last Friday. I found one that works at a hardware store in the plumbing section. I told them what it was for and they said it should work ok. It is a little smaller diameter than the stocker and a little thicker but it went together ok and, after about 2 hrs of running, it doesn't leak. And I think it cost a quarter!

Rick G

It may last a while ,but plumbing o rings  are not gas/oil proof  and it will swell and fair befor long
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

chuckwsh

i ordered one from the dealer last week (oring) today (thurs) they said...

its discontinued..

a freaking 13$ oring, for tha tprice they should stock 20!!!!

??? ???

Blake

does anyone think a "tube like" o-ring would work on the starter?   if it will..and you can get me dimensions..im pretty sure i can get them cheaper from a place i usually hit up thats pretty helpful...
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

Not sure what you mean by 'tube like' but the started o-rings are square cut, that is, they have flat sides, not round.  I have round ones in mine, but it was a battle to get them to stay while I got the screws in.  their really dust seals, since there's no liquid in the starter (Right??!!) :)
you probably could get away with silicone sealer...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

I was just looking around on the net... i found a place that sells square buna stock by the foot..by the foot..its about... 50 cents a foot for 1/8" square..   out of a foot we could easily make a few o-rings.  i'd be willing to buy a bunch and make them and distribute them.... but one thing..  how do you connect the o-rings together?  i was looking around and couldnt find any info..  superglue???   all they ever say was "Adhesive" and then even then..no one sells this "Adhesive" by itself.. only in "o ring kits" for 50 bucks...

any suggestions??

Blake

"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Blake

the sizes available are:

3/32"
1/8"
3/16"
1/4"

and it goes up from there...  any ideas which would fit?

Lucky

Quotehow do you connect the o-rings together?

I'm confused, wouldn't this stuff come in sections like an inner tube? why would you have to connect them together? I'd think you'd just select the right diameter & slice it into 3/8th's sections, viola` instant o-ring...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Riche

Look here for O-Ring adhesives. http://www.loctite.com/selector/product.html?answer=12100
 At work we use 404 to glue O-Rings. You can buy "square" O-Rings from industral supply houses. The are not usually fully square but have concave radius on the flats.The stuff is out there and you don't have to pay $5.  Pay $5 or an O-Ring LOL not me, never

rip_brotz420

the square o rings from disc brake pistons can handle any oil or abrasive environment but only fit starter housing

wolfman

Try out THIS STUFF from this web site. http://www.coolchem.com It'll glue just about anything to anything INSTANTLY and holds up to nearly everything shy of nuclear weapons.  Trust me!  It's worth every penny.