News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

interesting comparison

Started by bmeyer6472, May 27, 2005, 12:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmeyer6472

I've owned an '82 Vision since '83, and currently also own a 2003 Suzuki SV1000N. I recently got the Vision running properly again (balancer nuts were loose) and have been riding it enough to make a good comparison between it and the SV. Of course the SV is much more powerful, and has better handling and brakes than the Vision, but what really strikes me is how favorably the Vision compares with the more modern Suzuki. It's more comfortable, at least for my ancient body, and it's handling in the twisties at less than a lethal pace is actually nearly as good as the SV, at least on a smooth road. The engine is torquey, smooth and flexible, just like the SV, and while it is not as fast, the sound it makes and the way it feels give the same v-twin satisfaction. I took the V for a ride the other day on one of my favorite routes, and although it was a different experience, I had just as good a time as I have on my '03 Suzuki.  I find it remarkable that a 23 year old motorcycle can come off so favorably in comparison to a modern bike. Too bad Yamaha gave up after only 2 years. Too bad some people let their prejudices keep them from buying a truly innovative motorcycle when it was new. Just my opinion, tho. :) But I know I'm keeping my Vision, right along side my SV.

Glyn

Well said. I had a 650 Honda BROS (GT Hawk), the Vision knocks spots off it in the handling and flexibility stakes.
I think the 4 valve heads have a lot to do with it. For a heavy middle weight it still moves really well.
There is still lots of room for improvement, without drastically chaging it's retro appearance. Another plus. The modern stuff is just plug and play.  Looking at an R1 just makes me yawn.

Cheers

Glyn

Superfly

I was riding around on a GSXR-750 for a while, and all I could say about that was... Ouch, my back (and I am not that old!!)  My Vision did well in comparison.  While the Gixer was faster, it had a hollow feel to it, all speed, no balls.  I like the feeling of torque, not just speed.  Plus, I put alot of miles on my girl, and she is very comfortable for me to ride alot on a daily basis.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Junior

I am with you Superfly. Just sold both my crotch rockets and working on my Vision now. Will be 68 this month, pain and riding position has become # 1 issue.

bmeyer6472

?" I like the feeling of torque, not just speed."?

AMEN! The usable torque of the V-twin engine is addictive. I love the fact that you can putt around like a codger if you wish, and the engine is happy doing it, while at the same time serious high performance is available if that's what you want. It's also nice to be able to accelerate smartly without having to downshift 3 gears and redline the engine. As a matter of fact, I almost never redline the engine in the V, or in my SV1000 either - it just doesn't seem necessary.? ;D