News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Stator Maintenance

Started by Superfly, May 31, 2005, 04:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Interesting weekend.? I decided to go up Bouquet Canyon, and get some good mountain twisties in... while I was having a blast, I decided to stop (cant remember the name of the place) to eat some lunch, and there were about 15-20 HD's out front, but I went in anyways... Had some lunch, and it was time to go.? Go out to the bike, hit the start button, and you know..? all of the sudden the battery is dead.? I was a little more than aggravated now, considering all of the HD's and the term "rice burner" being said loudly enough so I could hear it.... so I made a phone call, got my extra battery and went home Pissed!

My stator is fairly new, got it in December, and only have about 15-20,000 miles on it, it should be fine!? My next thought is that I am not shelling out $150 every 15-20k for a stator!? I was going to become a "Rider of anything but Yamaha" if that was the case!? So I went to bed, and decided to tackle it in the morning.....

Morning comes & I take out the battery, case, grab my fault finding chart from Electrex, and I was going to do the stator checks, grab the 3 white wires I soldered to the RR, and low and behold, one of them came dis-connected.? ?Now I have them soldered, and electrical taped, so how did this come apart?? plus one of the silver wires looked like it turned to a color similar to copper wires... Still no clue on that, but the good news is that I replaced that wire, did all of the tests for the charging system (passed them all) and she is back to normal.?

Check those soldered connections and wires @ 15k-20k on your new stators!? I could save you some embarrassment!!

P.S. Ron G ... Thanks for the Spell Check ;D

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Walt_M.

Unfortunately, that is what a soldered connection tends to do over time with repeated heating and cooling. That is why I did crimp-type splices with mine.
Whale oil beef hooked!