News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

To fairing or not to fairing that is the question

Started by crackerkorean, May 29, 2005, 03:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

I took the fairings of my bike as to work on it a little easier and I cannot decide if I like it better with or without the fairing.

What all would I need to take the fairing off and set everything up as if it was a fairing less bike. Also I would like to swap to a round headlight. What is the easiest way to do this?

I saw a bike on H20 site with the little buell windshield of sorts and I really liked how that looked.

QBS

Your decision depends on the type of riding you do most.  Most of my riding is long distance wide open spaces.  Not much urban commuting going on here.  The factory fairing is absolutely one of the best ever offered by an OEM.  The only one better that I know comes with a BMW R100 RS.  FYI, A round head light will not work with the factory fairing.  Cheers

h2olawyer

GlennW has a round headlight on his.  Probably the one you saw pictured on my website.  (yellow V)

If you have the 83 style fairing, you'll need a headlight bracket.  You would also like to find the trim cover for the horn.  The turn signals attach to the headlight bracket.  More of the wiring gets stuffed into the headlight bucket.  If you have the 83 fairing, I'd say to keep it on.  May not be a bad idea to do the fairingless set-up until you've got most of the work done so you aren't removing & reinstallint it all the time.  Not a big deal but does get old after a few times.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

crackerkorean

Most of my riding will be commuting and tooling around town. I guess I will just with it right now without the fairing and ride it until its all done.
I am having one problem finding some mirrors for the fairing.

Superfly

If it is a stock 83 fairing, The 82 Seca Turbo used the same mirrors as our 83 fairing mirrors.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Quote from: Superfly on May 31, 2005, 12:28:13 PM
If it is a stock 83 fairing, The 82 Seca Turbo used the same mirrors as our 83 fairing mirrors.

Same part # from Yamaha for both models.  (FWIW)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.