News:

Main Menu

Wider rear rim???

Started by Coil Coyle, May 30, 2005, 08:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

Does any one know of swapping rear wheels from another Yamaha to get a wider rim?
???

Extent

IIRC someone did it once (off a seca turbo??) and managed to get a 130 on the rear, but when it got up to freeway speeds the middle of the tire shaved against the swingarm and left quite a mess.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Coil Coyle

I just want to spread a 120/90 a little bit, I will look up the old seca roadtest for a rim width.

Superfly

I ran the dunlop GT501's on the stock rim, 120/90/18 works great.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

jasonm.

remember the wider the tire the slower the bike turns. All the new sport bikes have WIDE tires. But to make them turn they have a short wheelbase and you still have to lean them more than our bikes at any speed to turn.  120 is plenty on the rear. Yes the Seca turbo has a wider rim. A 120 is suppose to be on a 2.5 rim. Ours is a 2.15 but we all know it works.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

VisionaryDan

I just bought a second V on ebay. It came with a 130/90 tire on the rear. Is this thing safe with a tire that large? It looks kind of scary the way the tire is squeezed on to the rim. The former owner said he had one size larger then that on it prior to the 130/90.

This tire does clear the swingarm but I would hate to see what would happen if I were leaning into a corner and hit a bump in the road.

What do you think?
Dan

h2olawyer

Dan -

In my opinion, a 120/90 is as big as should be run on the stock V rims.  The handling with a 120 is a little slower than a 110, but the bike still handles great with the 120.  I'm currently running a 120 rear & going back to a 110/90 next time I change - likely sometime this summer.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

I think there was a post some time ago where a guy had a problem with a 130/90 rear tire. He said is actually 'grew' at high speed and contacted the front of the swingarm. He didn't crash but it got his attention.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Superfly

I ran a 130/80 fine on the rear rim, the 90 would rub the top of the swing arm.  I am not recomending it, but the dunlop seemed a little thinner for a 130 than the others.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

ProfessorRex

Why go bigger?  I have great traction with my 110 along with light handling and a comfortable ride.  If you want more traction, get better tires.  ALSO (and this is a big deal) a tire designed for a certain rim width will not sit properly on a narower rim.  Yes it will fit, BUT the profile of the tire will be different than the designers intended, possibly giving you less contact patch.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Extent

Well the root post was about putting a wider rim to get a wider tire, which would be the right way to do it.  I completely agree about squezing on a wider tire on the stock rim tho.  Sportrider had an awesome article a couple years ago exactly on that.  worrying about the size of the contact patch is a non-issue when you destroy the profile of the tire and leaning characteristics of the bike

http://sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0206_size/
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.