News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Perplexing ignition problem

Started by bmeyer6472, February 17, 2005, 11:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmeyer6472

Boy do I ever wish it was an 83 with 83 carbs!!  But alas, it's an 82.  ::)

Paul_Jungnitsch

There's a nice little cheap spark tester tool that the auto shops sell, just an adjustable gap with a clamp on one end. An easy way to tell (at least at cranking) through spark color, regularity, and distance it will jump, how much of a spark you have. I keep one in each vehicle.

http://www.autopart.com/TOOLS/TOOLSMAIN/tool/T_3020.htm

Can also clamp the plugs to the frame with a vice-grip or some such and test them in a similar fashion.

bmeyer6472

I did test the plugs while clamped against the frame, and they seemed OK, but who knows what they do under cylinder pressure. Thanks for the tip on the tester - handy to have, but I never knew where to get one.

Walt_M.

Have you checked your battery volts and charging system? If voltage is too low, the TCI works intermittantly or not at all. You should have at least 12.5V at idle and 13-14V above 3K rpm.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Paul_Jungnitsch

QuoteHave you checked your battery volts and charging system? If voltage is too low, the TCI works intermittantly or not at all. You should have at least 12.5V at idle and 13-14V above 3K rpm.

Interesting. I suspect this is why the bike starts much easier after a winter sleep while being boosted with a car battery than with the tiny motorcycle battery. Even in the summer on cold mornings if mine had sat for a while it would often run on one cylinder initially, try to fire backwards, etc. On the volt gauge it shows the system volts dropping way down in such situations.

Superfly

I too would think of a charging system problem.  Have you run the Electrex tests?  Something might be getting ready to die, but is not dead yet.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Bob Meyer

;D She Lives!!
As promised, I went to the cycle shop today and got some new spark plugs and plug connectors. Came home, fitted the new parts, key on, choke, start : VROOM! No miss no pop, no bang, tach OK.

My theory is that the bad plug connector caused the corresponding plug to foul out - I have no idea why the tach acted up, or why it would run on either cylinder, but not both. Guess I don't know everything!

I could be mad at myself for not checking the obvious and easiest first, I should know better after working on this stuff for 45 years or more, but there ya go. I think I'll look at it more positively: I now am sure of all the electrical connections, I have a new improved fuse block, a spare TCI if I ever need one, it didn't cost much money, and I found a great resource for Vision stuff. Plus the fact that I have now been officially reminded that just because you've been there before doesn't mean that you'll never goof up again. At least for me. ::)

Thanks to all of you who took an interest in my self made problem, and spent the time and effort to help me out. It sure is nice to have her running on all sixteen cylinnders again!!

Bob

louthepou

Wow, that sure was an interesting string (thanks for the info guys, I love to learn).

I need a drink.

Re. wishing you had an 83 carb: careful what you wish for, you might get it!  ;D

Cheers

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

bmeyer6472

Heh - I just meant that Lucky would have my problem solved if I had 83 carbs....well, the carb problem, anyway! ;) At one time I coveted a set of 83 carbs, as I thought it might cure "the stumble". Live and learn.

bmeyer6472

BTW, my earlier post under a different ID was due to computer error! Operator error, that is. ;D

Rick G

Any time you have a perceived  ignition problem  check the condition of the plug wires where the the plug caps screw into the wires . Any time you see the wire core deterorated  on the end of the wire after you remove the plug cap , clip off the last 1/4 inch of wire to get a clean end.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike