News:

Main Menu

Wish me luck

Started by fiddlesticks, June 02, 2005, 11:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddlesticks

Did the old stator swap last night and most things went smoothly. Was a big job though. Not overly diffucult but I knew we would have to go slow and take our time, which is not my strong suit. The only real issue was that I really hope that gasket sealed up right and it doesnt leak oil. Boy was she ever fried too. I can see exactly where she was grounding on the case. Bare metal hangin out everwhere. Shes in and all that needs to be done now is splicing in the wiring which we ran out of time for last night. I sure hope this works.

Fidd ;D
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Fidd -

Hope all went well & you aren't experiencing the dreaded left case cover drips!  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

fiddlesticks

All did go pretty well. Yesterday we wired everything up. She didnt want to start though so we gave up and went riding for a bit. Today we went throught the checklist checking for spark ect. Still wouldnt start. Left her for about an hour. Tried again, and VAroooooooom. She is purring like a kitten, and charging. Meter read around 14.7 or so. We do however have the dredded drip, but that is minor. After we seal that up shes good to go. yip yipidee.

Fiddlesticks
1 Black 82 Virago 750

fiddlesticks

I just had a thought. I recall someone on here saying its not a good idea to solder the connections because they are made of different metals. I really dont want this stator to go any time soon. What are everyones thoughts on the pros and cons of soldering vs connectors.

Fidd
1 Black 82 Virago 750

Superfly

I solder, and it has been recomended to me that I use a "silver solder"  I trust the source, so I will try that on my next repair.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

fiddlesticks

Silver solder. I have no idea what I used. Its little and it was in the box of soldering stuff I borrowed(stolehe he) from my dad. So it was free. ;D I will keep my eyes peeled for that though. If you think it is better than the other stuff I dont mind doing it over if it will save this stator.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

crackerkorean

I know silver solder in audio jobs makes a difference but in eletronics like this I would not think that it would make a difference at all.

In audio the slightest bit of resistance and or capasitance changes the sound ever so minutely.

Regular solder should work as long as you make sure that it flows well.

Rosin core solder with a decent about of flux will do the trick.

Just my .02

Lastly where is the connector that needs to be soldered? I want to take care of this before it becomes a problem. Is there any reason in the future that I would want to seperate these wires?