Need a helmet

Started by crackerkorean, June 02, 2005, 05:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

I went to the local shop and tried on several helmets and still not to sure what to get.
I was looking at the
HJC AC-11
http://www.hjchelmets.com/ac11_maximus.htm#
in blue
Fiberglass and kevlar weave shell with removeable liner (I did not verify)
~200$
Or
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/helmets/halextc-2.html
~$350

My main problem is that the cheek pads press my cheeks into my teeth. The Shoei has removeable cheek pads and the dealer would do that for me for swap them to smaller ones for free.
I am really paranoid on what I need noggin wise and would like to make sure that its safe. One thing I did like about the shoei was that it was light.

I did read a thread where many people liked the HJC lid, I am just trying to get some more insight being a new not yet licesed rider.

Also what kind of footwear is needed?

Blake

I have the ac-11 and when i first got it it pushed my cheeks into my teeth as well (it was an XL).   the helmet is supposed to be tight on you, but not unbearably uncomfortable.  Foam compresses and after a month or so the foam will be permenantly compressed enough so that you dont even notice it.  Definately do NOT take out the cheek piece and ride without it.  its there for a reason (to protect your mouth incase of a crash).   At the store helmets to me always feel quite tight against the side of my mouth (cheeks against teeth), but when i take them home you get used to it and it loosens up a bit.

Both are good quality helmets (pass all DOT tests), so its pretty much up to you which you like better.  Im a bigger guy, and the weight of lower cost helmets dont really bother me(they're already incredibly lite compared to a few years ago), so the loss of an extra half a pound isnt worth the extra 200-500 bucks for a high end helmet.  but it comes to personal preference.  both brands are quite good.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

crackerkorean

Both helmets were comfortable other wise. I guess I need to try them out again and see what one I like better.

Superfly

Shoei Rf-800.... I personally crash tested it, and it performed very well! 
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

i'm going to toss another one in to try, especially if you wear eyewear (sunglasses anyway right?)
HJC CL-MAX. the chin bar flips up so there is no need to remove your glasses, you can take a drink off a water bottle without pulling the lid, have a normal conversation, & run into the store all with super ease, plus, it was only $169 + tax.

also, god forbid you go down & EMS has to pull your lid, they won't have to pull on your neck or cut it off.  Good idea: Mine is black & in the area of the shell exposed when the chin bar is up, i've put my name, DOB & emergency contact #'s (wife) in silver sharpie.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

crackerkorean

I though about a modular helmet but they are not snell approved so thats kind of steering me away from them.

Lucky

Figure another $50 for the snell sticker.  it's the same shell as the other HJC's, they probably won't rate it because someone could potentially ride off with the bar up.  Hmm, a helmet without a chin bar AND a snell rating??
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

silicon_toad2000

as far as footwear goes, lace-up boots are a must. Don't get anything with a chunky sole either. you want small (not too high) toes so you can move around the gear lever easily, also something that will protect you ankles from painting themselves all over the blacktop if you go for a slide.
So thick leather and nothing too clumsy. Don't get those elastic sided horse riding boots, you may as well be barefoot.
I wear Mack Boots "New Trucker", dunno if you guys have Mack's there or not. Doc Martens are okay, but i feel the leather is a little on the thin side and also the price is on the thick side.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Extent

FWIW When I was down at the Snell facility last I'm pretty sure they guy said that the reason no flip face helmets were snell rated was because no manufacturer had submitted them for certs.  The manufacturers know if their helmets would pass or not (snell testing procedures are no secret) but wheter they don't get certain helmets certified because they know they won't pass or because they just don't think it's worth the money is anyones guess.   The fines Snell imposes for failing random sample tests after being certified is pretty expensive.

Even if the helmet had Snell certs there's nothing in the current criteria that is flip face helmet specific, so no tests for "helmet stays closed on impact" or the like.  I belive they were currently discussing them for inclusion in the next revision of the snell standard, but that may be a few years down the road before being ratified.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Willie

There are a couple of questions to keep in mind when selecting a helmet.  First, What is YOUR head worth?  Second, how comfortable is it?  And Third, what kind of riding do you do (short trips/ half days/ extended trips).  Personally, I won't buy anything without the most recent or previous Snell M rating.  Make sure it is M, not SA  (special application, race car)or K (Karts).  Check the manufacture date also, helmets become more brittle with age.  I also replace my helmets, yes, helmets (cars and bikes) every three years.

Now about fit, a helmet should be snug but not so tight that it flattens your ears against your head or your inner cheeks between your teeth.  Yes, at first you will be aware of the sensation of the cheek pads pressing your cheeks against your teeth but that will go away within the first few weeks with consistant wear.  Resist the temptation to buy a larger helmet to relieve this 'cheek pressure' because then the helmet will be to loose for your noggin.  It shouldn't be so tight either that you get red pressure lines on the forhead and ears either.  A good rule of thumb is that with the chin strap snug, rotate your head from right to left and up and down.  The helmet should move with your head, not after it.  I mean that your head should not move inside the helmet more than 1/8th of an inch or so. 

That's my two cents worth,  Hope I don't sound too preachy.

crackerkorean

My noggin is pretty pricey thats why im looking at the shoei helmets.  I just wasnt sure if there is really something technically different or its just the name. I mountain bike and I know for bicycle helmets if you get over 60 bucks its just weight savings.

I had the XL on both brands its just the cheek pads were a bit tight thats my only complaint. Overly so. I could not open my mouth without my cheecks getting pressed into them and not being able ot bite down.

I am liquidating some of my vintage stereo stuff so that I can spring for the shoei.

h2olawyer

Good choice.  Get the one you're most comfortable with - both from a wearing & peace of mind standpoint.  I'm very happy with my HJC CL-14.  When I tried on lots of helmets, I only asked to see all their models under $500.  Made for a fairly complete range of brands & styles.  I opted for the best fit among those with both Snell & DOT ratings.

With motorcycle helmets, the same general principle of lighter + more$$ follows bicycle helmets for the most part.  Graphics can add a fair amount to a helmet price, too - especially if you opt for a pattern used by some famous motorcycle racer.  I've also heard that the higher priced oned tend to do a better job of ventilation, but that's only comments from a few individuals - some of whom have never tried the helmets they are comparing!

Enjoy your helmet, & we all hope you never NEED it!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ProfessorRex

I have a shoei RF-1000 it's GREAT, quiet at speed, comfortable, good air flow/control, zero lift, and it's light on top of all that.

Being my first full face helmet it weird at first, tight in the cheeks, but it's become very comfortable as I've adjusted to the feeling of a full face helmet.  I'd rather have some pressure on my cheeks than eat my teeth!

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Buffo

nothing but snell approved goes on my head. when the shit hits the fan i want all the protection i can get. keep in mind that NO race track will let you in ANY race of any kind if your helmet is not snell approved. look at the dennis kirk catalogs or go online to thier site. if your order is $100.00 or more the shipping is free! most places get about $14.00 for shipping a helmet.  dennis kirk just started stocking the hemets with "crumple zones" just like cars have now so in case of an impact the helmet takes some of the brunt off your melon. some say that that means you can only crash whith your helmet once but anyone with any sence will tell you that if you crash, even lightly, GO AND GET A BRAND NEW HELMET.

Don

fiddlesticks

Hey cracker

I was wearing an hjc last season and thought it wasnt too bad. That is until I tried an Arai. If your looking at shoei's at least try on an arai helmet as they are in the same price range. The arai has changable cheekpads as well and it fits my head very well. I can also fit my glasses/sunglasses into it much better. I actuall tried my hjc on this morning for old times sake and it felt hard and scratchy on my face in comparison. All arai helmets are built to the same standard of quality, which means the guys racing bikes are wearing the same helmet I am. The only difference which affects price is the fancy paint job. Just a thought.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

crackerkorean

I looked at the arais at the local shop and the cheapest one they had was 500.

I justlooked on the site and the cheapest full face is 411 I think. I am already getting rid of my vintage stereo stuff to get the shoei.