Question about Rust v.2

Started by YellowJacket!, June 05, 2005, 05:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

OK, I pulled the plugs from my motor and they were very rusty.  I shined a small penlite into the holes and I can see a thin coating of rust on the piston.  The pistons turn fine when I manually turn the crank.  Is this something I have to worry about?  Can I squirt some oil in there for extra lubrication and hope the rust will burn off when I start it or am I loooking at another big job to tackle?
I'm at the point where I'm starting to put everything back together.  It's all looking very new and shiny but the inside of the cylinder worries me that my efforts will all be in vain once I crank it.

What should I do?

Thanks,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

you don't want any rust in there of course, but if it's light 'surface rust i wouldn't worry. if it's deep & has caused pitting that's another story.  certainly adding a shot or two of oil will help the rings seal better. use the oil.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

The real test will come when you try to start it. If the rings are stuck in the piston grooves, compression will likely be very low. By all means, try the oil, it might work.
Whale oil beef hooked!