Ignition coil pickup resistance

Started by bmeyer6472, February 14, 2005, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmeyer6472

For all you electronic gurus out there: I measured my ignition pickup coil resistance while trying to diagnose a recent ignition problem, and here's the deal: the specification is 110 ohms, + or - 10 %, measured at 68 degrees F. Mine measured at 139 and 141 ohms, but I don't know what the temp was at the time, tho I suspect it was above 68. So the question is, does this indicate bad pickups, or is this slight variation in resistance due to the temperature? And does it matter? Any thoughts or facts would be great. BTW, I am replacing the TCI, it's almost for sure bad, but I am thinking that both pickups would probably not go bad at the same time.
Thanks,
Bob

Walt_M.

Interesting question! Your readings are 30% over spec so you are probably wondering if that is what caused your TCI to go, and I can't tell you. I don't have a manual in front of me right now so I don't know if there is a point common to both pickups. Have you checked the accuracy of your meter?
Whale oil beef hooked!

bmeyer6472

Walt-
You are correct, and no, I havent checked the meter. I do have a couple more meters, however; I think I'll recheck the resistance with them and see if there's a difference. I don't really understand all there is to understand about this system, but it seems unlikely that the extra resistance would cause the TCI to go. More likely, I think, is that they would not provide enough energy to cause the TCI to fire. All guesswork tho. Thanks for the input.
Bob