News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

A flat spot at 4500rpm

Started by mark_m, June 12, 2005, 01:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_m

I recently cleaned my carbs and got a nice improvement in the engine's running. The only problem I have now is as she goes over 4000 RPM the engine loses power slightly and then kicks in again. It's not very abrupt, but enough to make me very careful about accelerating as I corner. 

Any theories would be very helpful!

Thanks.

Mark.

ProfessorRex

Vision Stumble! Welcome friend!  Have you tuned the carbs? Have you sync'd them? if not, DO SO! That should fix the stumble!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

mark_m

I've synced them. What other tuning can I do? I guess I'll work through the reasons for vision stumble on lucky's site.

Superfly

Fuel/Air mixture screws.  It takes some getting used to, but after a while, you can hear when she is in her "sweet spot".  Did you remove those screws when you cleaned your carbs? (if unsure, see Luckys site, it can explain it better.)
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

mark_m

Yup, I removed them. Thanks, I'll check them first. From lucky's site: "Adjust pilot screws to approx 2.5 front, 4.25 rear from lightly seated". I think right now I'm about 5 on both screws.

Mark.

Lucky

Those settings are a starting point, if they are way off then the bike can be hard or impossable to start.  how they are finally set varies greatly bike to bike. a stumble when everything else is set correctly, indicates that the screws are slightly out too far.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black