News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Must stop the bleeding!

Started by attila vaski, February 11, 2005, 01:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

attila vaski

Howdy gang!!Hope everyone is getting ready to strap their helmets on!
While I've got my tank and carbs off,I've decided to re-seal the motor and get rid of all these damn oil leaks!Where is the best place for me to go to order a complete top and bottom end gasket and re-seal kit?Carb rebuild kit also!Everything on the bike is in great shape and really clean inside,but if I let the bleeding continue I'm sure I'm going to run in to some real problems.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again folks!

louthepou

Hey Attila, good to hear from you!

First thing I'd do for the motor would be to check tht torque on most if not all the accessible nuts and bolts. Might just reduce some leaks. Then, Check a few previous posts - I know we discussed about gaskets and kits on a few occasions.

For the carb, I think the consensus pretty much is that the guy selling rebuild kits on Ebay is a good deal (and he's in Canada around Toronto I think).

Hope this helps. And just so you know, it's still winter for at least another month here, if not more... (snif)

Louis (in Ottawa)
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Walt_M.

Check the matlas post on the Swap Shop, he is advertising a head and base gasket set. I've heard they are getting hard to find. Most of the oil leaks I've had have been on the left cover area, also the starter 'nose' 'O' ring. The left cover gaskets are still available and you can make your own. The wiring grommets will leak here too so they need special care. Also check the shift shaft seal while you are in the neighborhood.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

degrease & clean the engine very well & dry it well (overnight)
then take some common baby powder & put it anywhere you suspect an oil leak. start the bike & watch the powder. any oil leaks will quickly thurn the powder black, plus it's safe to use & easy to clean up.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

beastmaster

Hey everyone!
Thanks for the suggestions.I've got a local guy looking into gasket kits from vesrah for me.He actually knew the bike and informed me that he regularly services two others.I wouldn't say it's at the end of the tunnel,but it is a light!It'd be interesting to get in touch with the other riders too.
Otherwise,on the carb front...I've located the Keyster website on ebay.It seems to list two different kits for the 82.I'm making myself aware of the technical differences of early and late 82 carbs,but it seems to me that one kit is substantyially larger than the other.And the differences between the carb are not so substantial.
Does anyone have any idea what the difference in the two kits are?I can't help but ask.Everyone is always so helpful!And I'm having raunchy computer troubles right now!!
Thanks again! ??? ::)

Lucky

the 'larger' kit is for an 83. it's mislabled & they know about it.  I believe in the actual auctions they mention that the box is mislabeled.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

beastmaster

Unbelievable!
Complete top and bottom end gasket kit for $179 cdn out of Ontario.
I'll be happy when that get's here. ;D
The kit is made by Vesrah and the distributors phone # is 1-807-737-4677. Sioux Falls Ontario,I think....... ??? 8)
Bit of a stoner here..... ;D