83 tank on a 82 bike will this work ?

Started by smknjoe1964, June 13, 2005, 03:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smknjoe1964

Searching what I could on the listings here I couldnt figure out what the adjustments would have to be . Is this workable ? I have 82 petcock and cap. Suggestions and pointers please ?  Thanks 

YellowJacket!

I have an 83 tank on my 82 Vision.  Although i hadn't ridden the bike yet and have been rebuilding it, it worked fine for the previous owner.  My only problem is finding a suitable petcock that will work on the tank.  Currently I am having a custom petcock mount built for the tank and am going to install a regular two port petcock.
The 83 tank has a fuel guage sending unit in it and the petcock has three ports.  The 82 and 82 petcocks are not interchangeable but the TANK will work.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Superfly

I put a 83 tank on my 82.  Works fine.  The main question is why do you want to.  I had a set of 83 gauges, and wanted the fuel gauge working.  I came across a set of 83 carbs, 83 tank, and 83 petcock, and a 83 airbox to go with my 83 gauges.  It tends to be a bit more of a hassle to find a petcock for that year, and rebuild kits are not available.  82 tanks are more available!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Ken Williams

Plug the return line and you will be ready to go.

smknjoe1964

The 82 tank I have has dents and rusted in the usual spots .Still repairable , Im getting close to finishing the paint on the 83 as thats all it needed. I thought I better get around to checking on what I was looking at as far as modifying. So  Ken you said all I have to do is plug the return line on the 82 petcock and that should work ? Thanks so far for all of your inputs !

Superfly

You need an 83 petcock for an 83 tank.  Then you can plug the return line on the 83 petcock to work with you 82 carbs.

smknjoe1964

Thanks for the help guys ! Ive got another post in the swap shop looking for the 83 petcock and Ive got alot of 82 vision parts I could trade something for it , or I would be willing to purchase if someone has one ?   

Superfly

Ken Williams

Oops, I answered the wrong question.  As pointed out in earlier posts, you need to fabricate a mount to use an 83 tank with a 82 petcock.  I imagine some aluminum plate with threaded and through holes would work.  Sorry for the inadvertent misdirection.