Where can I buy a front brake caliper rebuild kit

Started by mark_m, June 13, 2005, 03:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_m

My front caliper has a badly corroded carrier and is leaking brake fluid. The front brake is also so spongy that I can't brake properly. So I'm about to do a caliper rebuild.

The haynes manual mentions a caliper rebuild kit. Any idea where I can buy one?

Does the rebuild kit come with a new carrier? If not does anyone know where I can get one? FYI, the carrier is the curved piece  at the top of this diagram:
http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=52091,4,0

Thanks.

Mark.

mark_m

Ugh! Just got hold of Yamaha and they said the front caliper has been discontinued. So I guess I'm stuck waiting for one to come up on eBay. If anyone has a caliper they are willing to part with, let me know.

h2olawyer

Do you need the entire caliper?  The piston, seals & dust boots should still be available as separate parts.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

mark_m

Yeah I think so. The carrier (back piece) is corroded to the point where I'm worried about structural strength.

mark_m

Is there a caliper/disk combination I can buy from another yamaha model (new or old) that will fit the 82 Vision? Or perhaps an aftermarket caliper/disk combination?