How do I fit a dual disk/caliper from an 83 Vision to an 82?

Started by mark_m, June 15, 2005, 01:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_m

I've tracked down an 83 Vision that is being parted out and it has dual disks and calipers that they guy is willing to sell. Has anyone here done this upgrade? How difficult is it and is it simply a case of fitting the parts, or is it more complex than that?

Is getting the whole front fork with brakes and fitting it to my 82 a better idea?

Thanks,

Mark.

h2olawyer

You can make this project as simple or complex as you desire.  Easiest is just swapping both fork legs, master cylinder & brake lines.  However, doing it right so you get the best performance out of the upgrade, you will need to do some additional work.

With the fork legs off the bike, replace the seals & fork oil.  Get braided stainless brake lines.  The originals are probably still on the 83 setup & Yamaha recommends replacing them every 4 years.  You will have to take measurements from the old lines & buy the parts - Russell, Galfer or Spiegler all make component parts to do this.  Get new brake pads.  EBC, SBS or Fedoro are all good ones.  Make sure they are not sintered or you will be replacing the rotors very quickly.  Use new DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.

You do need the master cylinder from the 83.  You will be moving more brake fluid to actuate the dual discs.  Rebuild the master cylinder.  A kit is still available from Yamaha, & not all that expensive.  Check the calipers.  You may need to replace the pistons & seals in them as well.

I did this same project last year.  Got the brakes & fork tubes on eBay.  Bought all else new.  Total cost was over $300 but well worth the investment.  Plan on around $150 for the braided lines - if you replicate the stock system.  Pads are around $30 a set - you'll need 2 sets.  Also, a set of Speed Bleeders & a mity-vac (or large veterinary syringe) will make getting the new fluid into the system & properly bled a whole bunch easier.

For about $70 additional, you can upgrade to Progressive fork springs.  I hear thay're a good improvement.  Likely a project for this coming winter, along with tapered bearings in the steering head.  While you're getting parts off that 83, see if he still has the rear shock to sell.  That is also a major upgrade from the 82 pogo stick unit.

I'd rate the dual discs & 83 rear shock as the two finest upgrades you can make to the 82 Vision.  One more benefit of the 83 forks is the addition of air caps for greater adjustability.

At least get the parts & acquire everything else you'll need as you can afford it.  Several of us have done the brake upgrade & can probably help you out if you run into any problems.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

easier still is swapping the whole ft end. it's simply a matter of disconnecting the brake light switch, unbolting the master cyl from the bar, unscrewing the speedo cable.

then loosen the bolts holding the fork tubes to the tripple trees & slide the ft end out. you'll need to have a helper to help steady the bike. i did mine by putting a jack under the engine & raising the ft way up.  having a fork brace helped because it kept the fork tubes eligned enough that it was easy to slide 'em in & out.

I also bought the 83 rear wheel at the same time, & the tires were in better shape than mine, so it worked out.

you'll want to check out the brakes/ bearings/seals etc to be sure everything is in good shape.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mark_m

Thanks very much for the detailed replies.

Darn I'm so bummed. I just phoned up Ken from partzguys just north of Denver. He thought he had a dual disk Vision but the forks have gone. Anyway I bought a single caliper from him which will solve my immediate problem. Nice guy - says he has a few visions in stock with single front disks in case anyone's interested. Here's the ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4555819898&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Mark.

Extent

On a just kind of unrelated note, has anyone tried the disks that Dennis kirk has listed as replacements for the Vision?  It looks like they've got full floating disks available for $150, would those be better for using stinterd pads (I don't remember if they're stainless or not).
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

mark_m

admin

It's interesting that they advertise floating disks for the vision.
I wonder what the deal is. If you have floating calipers, I kind of think
that you might create problems running on floating disks.
but I don't know that for sure. It may be that Dennis Kirk just copied the
marketing blurb from EBC without first checking for any accuracy.

anyone have thoughts on this ?

-Ron

oh, to stay on topic here.  glad to here you were able to pick up
a used caliper, If it's not in pristine shape, I'd recomend rebuilding
it before trusting your safety to a used part.

Extent

Aprillia uses floating disk w/ floating calipers, at least that's what came up in a 10 second google search.  I don't think the caliper is going to deflect the disk enough to cause a problem, and if it did I'ld immagine it would be a problem for a solid disk as well.  just my (uneducated :p ) opinnion
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

jasonm.

I had EBC pads then I switched to different sintered pads. They have been great for many miles.  The rotors are just fine and easier to replace than my hyde should the rotors wear. Also, EBC standard brake pads are not very good. The pads are so hard they take forever to brake in. And the general performance is poor when compared to  the others listed. EBC just happens to be well known...nothing more. The idea here, is to be able to stop as best as possible. nuff said...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lead_Deficiency

Will the rotors from an 83 fit on an 82 rim? Also has anyone tried to replace thr front forks with the forks from a 650 turbo?

Superfly

I have.  the 82 turbo's forks are 1-2 mm bigger than the Visions, they will not fit into the triple tree.  So what I did is swap out the entire front end.  The Turbo does not have the trailing axle, so to fork stabilizers are a little further back than the visions, so it puts the wheel in appx. the same location.  It rode good, I was happy with the swap.  The turbo has standard handle bars, not bolt-ons, so the feel is different.  but the entire front end will slide right into the Vision frame.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lead_Deficiency

hey great, I'll have to keep an eye out for them. I thought I had a line on a pair, but that may have vanished. Did you have to use the front rim as well?

Did you say you were able to keep the wheel base the same? did it cause the front end to be leaning downhill?

Superfly

I did not get the one off of e-bay.? There is a Graveyard up by me that had a 650 Turbo in there, picked it up for $50.? Grabbed the whole front end off, slid it in!? The Turbo's rotors are not the same size as the visions.? I think that they are smaller (but I have not tried to bolt them on to the vision rim yet) because I got the front wheel from a Vision on that setup right now, but the calipers will not go on because of the larger vision rotors.? Here is a pic of a cool little side project I am doing for fun.? it is a Vision, with the Seca Turbo front end, and a ninja fairing.

Lead_Deficiency

that'll look nice painted up, you even get a good headlight in the deal.

are the rotors your using from 82 v's because the 83 rotors are smaller than the 82's.

Superfly

The cool thing about the 82 rims is that they can accept rotors on both sides, just take the round plastic cap off of the other side and you can bolt your rotor on. ?But the Seca forks have the calipers located in a different position, so you can not use a Vision rotor (it is too big) you must use the Seca rotors because they are smaller.

I really like the way the bike is coming together, ?I re-built that engine, and fabricated some fairing mounting brackets. ?It rides really nice, ?I have only rode it around for about 10 miles. ?I am in no big hurry to finish, so I am taking my time with it. ?It is one of the "fun" projects, It is on an extra bike, not my main bike!

h2olawyer

After looking at the Yamaha parts diagrams, the 83 Turbo Seca & the 83 Vision use different rotors.  They look very similar but the differences are more than the paint color around the outer edge.  Dennis Kirk has EBC rotors for both.  The ones for the Vision are about $114 each & the ones for the Turbo Seca run closer to $190 each

Lead_Deficiency's question made me curious so I thought I'd do some research.  Nice to know what other options are available for Vision upgrades.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Superfly

I have interchanged some of the Seca Turbo parts.  I have put the rear rim from the Turbo on blackie, because I wanted to try it, (It is on there in the new paitjob post) and I also put a 130 on it.  The biggest difference I found in the rear rim is that the brake drum assembly is bigger.  It will not accept the visions smaller rear brake drum assembly.