News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Strange Sound

Started by MrMe, June 18, 2005, 05:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMe

At around 55 mph i can hear this strange sound.  It's kinda like a humm but it resinates.
It stops when i excelerate but at a constant speed it's there. I checked the shaft oil and it's
full. I am at a loss. It sounds like its from the rear of the bike. I know the speedo sound and don't think thats it. An ideas ?
Brian

Walt_M.

Is the lube oil discolored or have a bad smell? Checked for excessive 'lash'? If you are still in doubt, drain the lube and check for particles.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Another thought, check the rear wheel bearings. A more likely problem than the drive gears. Also, while you are back there, have a look at the bolts on the brake stay. Just a reminder due to past( and ugly) failures.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MrMe

Yea, all looks good, I did replace the brake stay bolt a mont or so ago after reading the post about it. I've taken high sides on the dirt and would like to avoid one on the road... so its a nice new one there..

Lucky

have you tried recreating the sound running the bike on the center stand?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MrMe

that scares me. 45 mph on the stand  /
my luck zoom into the garage wall LOL... but i think thats what im gonna have to do...

jasonm.

I have had mine to 6000 in 5th on the center stand. These are front heavy on the center stand. It isn't going anywhere. Oh, why did  I do this. ...to make sure the guy really balanced the rear wheel after the new tire was put on.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules