News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Flasher Gremlins 2: the new batch

Started by Jimmy C., June 19, 2005, 07:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy C.

Hey folks.
I've got a serious issue with my right-hand signal lights. The left ones work fine while the bike is idling, but the right hand lights do not blink at all (not even the gauge indicator comes on). With the engine off, and the signal switch pushed over, the flasher relay makes a buzzing sound.
So I spent $82.75 on a new flasher relay....
  Same F-----ng thing.
  Can't return electrical parts.
  Not happy.
Now everything looks fine to me, but I have no testing tools to go gremlin hunting. Before I spend more unnecessary cash, I was just wondering if anybody had this deal before and knows what the problem may be.
Otherwise, it's gonna be a dissection and a half for the vision.

Walt_M.

Suggest you check the bulbs on the right side, especially the numbers if the bulbs are good. The flashers are current operated and will not work if there is not enough current. If the bulbs are good and the correct number, check the connections.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

Buy an inexpensive test light, it'll tell you lots too.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

Jimmy, stay calm 8)

You have allready narrowed your search. You know:
1. The turn signal power supply is OK
2. The flasher works.
3. You have fixed the left turn signal of your Vision.
8) CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

Now, to build on your success I will join in and help.
My right signal indicator and front light come on but do not flash and I am going to be figuring out the turn signal cancel thing also to fix mine

OK, the buzzing flasher. Flashers are a relay and if you connect them into a short to ground that has just a little resistance, so the fuse does not blow, the flasher would buzz because
1. its coil would loose voltage every time it connected to the short (the Bu..)
2. every time the coil lost voltage the relay would disconnect? ( the ...zz )
3. with the relay disconnected the coil would have voltage and reconnect to the short ( see 1. )

So, you are looking for a place where the wire to your bulb can connect to ground, but poorly. Poorly means you will see corrosion or wet mud/rust /crud when you find the place.
Start with the bulb sockets, pull the bulbs (push in a little on the bulb and twist counter clockwise a little bit and the bulb will come out) If you see powder or wet crud then push the wire into the light mount stem and pull the contact piece out of the lamp socket and its spring.
This all needs to be clean and dry, look for burn marks between the wires and the spring or case. Rub a little vaseline or oil on the pieces as you put them back together.
MAKE SURE THE BULB HAS ONE CONTACT, LIKE THE SOCKET.

Post what you find and I'm going to study the rest of that gizmo's circuit while I wait.
;)

coil

Lucky

the t/s commonly short there the wires exit the turn signal stalks, particuarly in the front. look there.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Jimmy C.

Thanks for the replies, people. Not even Harley Davidson owners have this much dedication to their machines, let alone a forum that is used DAILY.
I forgot to mention that I did replace the entire signals, with those low-profile aftermarket ones. The wires are fresh, and the bulbs are brand new. I hooked them up as I was taking the old ones off (for the purists, I didn't throw the stock ones away) so they are hooked up exactly like stock.
I also forgot to mention, that even the old ones acted the same way. The new ones are hooked up tight and insulated, and my bike is a lucky one, with absolutely no rust anywhere. The bike was dropped before I bought it, but I never noticed if the flasher was broken when I brought it home. MAYBE the previous owner tried to mickey-mouse the wiring harness and messed it up somehow. But after dumping the bike when I locked up the front tire thirty seconds after I purchased it, four things were broken:
!!!Ignition switch!!!.
Right flasher.
Shaved foot peg.
Brake pedal stabbed into crank cover, but JB weld saved the day.
Helluva resilient machine, I might add.
Anyway, I'm going to rip apart the thumb switch, and then I'm going to purchase a test light. Besides, all the weather's been doing lately is raining, so I got the time for surgery.

Thanks for helping me out.