News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

What length starter clutch bolts?

Started by mh, November 01, 2002, 12:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mh

If it isn't one thing, it's another.

My starter clutch is really starting to sound bad.  Okay, it sounded bad before, but now it's preventing me from actually starting the engine.  Compression starting is a good thing.

As posted on the Swap Shop board, I'm looking for a rotor with starter clutch already on it so that I don't have to have my engine cover off all that long (heh, good luck).  If that fails, I should probably at least have the right length bolts on hand to put the starter clutch back on the rotor and peen over.

Where was that FAQ anyway?

Just to gauge interest, who would like to buy an '82 Vision in the San Francsico Bay Area with: a bad starter clutch, a questionable stator, a slight oil leak, a leaky YICS, a recently replaced instrument cluster, a new batery and maybe 7000 miles on the tires?  Fourth owner.  Trade for a low maintenance standard ;D

I can't wait for the motorcycle show here next weekend...

-mark

i'm Lucky

Replacement Starter clutch bolts:
8mm hex head, grade 12.9, 16mm long  or longer, cut to extend out of flywheel  by 2 threads

Coil Coyle

Lucky,
           Is this length good for all models? While I am in there I might as well have the parts ready,

coil

Lucky

yup, it should be close to a standard length. if yopu cand find anything close thread 2 nuts on the bolt, cut or grind them to length, then remove the nuts to clean up the threads.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black