Painting the gas tank

Started by crackerkorean, June 19, 2005, 03:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

My wife and I spent 2.5 hours this morning stripping the tank. We only got the top done. there was the metal and then rust and then paint.
Its completly stripped but there are stil some small spots of rust.

I have sealer primer should I paint over these spots of rust (tiny mind you about the size of a ball point on a pen or less) or should they all be gone?

Lucky

The lower corners of the tank allways rust out because they are lower than the petcock.  since all tanks normally collect some water due to condensation, & water is heavier than fuel, it collects in the corners. you will probably find some pinholes at the corners held together with rust & paint.

Remove & seal all rust, even the smallest of points because once rust has started to form, it musty be removed to permanantly stop it from spreading/reappearing.  you can weld up the holes, silver solder & even use my favorite: 2 part epoxy putty.  Car Quest/Car Parts stores sell the epoxy putty on tubes & i've used it on several tanks. it's fuel proof, can be sanded, drilled, even tapped. it'll even seal a 'wet' leak.  good stuff.

before painting the tank on the outside you might want to consider coating the inside with POR-!5. it comes in a kit with tank cleaner, rust remover (muriatic acid based) and the POR sealer.  plus a section of fiberglass patch and a foam brush.  this stuff is far superior to Kreem coating, nothing affects it, not fuel, not fuel system cleaners, etc.

use Berrymans fuel injector cleaner to keep your carbs clean inside, i can per tank 2wice a year.  just don't use it with Kreem, it'll didintergrate the coating 7 plug up your caebs.  it won't hurt the POR though, & the kit is a hair under $35.

BTW, don't shake the POR to mix it, that'll introduce tiny bubbles into the coating & weaken it. stir it instead.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

crackerkorean

I planned on PORing the tank just have to order the kit.

what is the best way to clean the tank out? I have some grime in there and something else rolling around.

I will work on  gettting all the rust off this week. thanks for the help lucky

Lucky

the kit comes with "Marine Clean" it's the first step.  The hole for the petcock is the best spot. i start by filling the tank with the garden hose & draining it out thru the petcock hole. you have to slosh it back & fourth on that side 7 roll it around to get as much over from the right side to the left.

unless your in good shape, plan on having sore arms & maybe a sore back by the time your done PORing the tank... :)

you can use a length of lamp swag chain in the filler hole to loosen up big flaky rust inside.  lots of people use nails or nuts & bolts, but the lamp chain is easier to get out with a piece of bent coat hanger. 

follow up with the Marine Clean.

--Lucky

crackerkorean

so when im PORing the tank and or cleaning it do I plug the petcock and fuel filler hole? And if so with what?

Lucky

I don't plug them when cleaning, but when applying the POR you have to. I cut up the lids from butter dishes and Duct tape for the fuel filler. for the petcock i used a scrap piece of aluminum sheet about 40 thou thick. i drill holes for the bolts and bolt it on with a piece of gasket material inbetween.  brass plate would work better, it's stiffer, but i had the aluminum.  you can get bits of it in hobby shops & hardware stores

crackerkorean

Here are some pics of my wife and my self working on the tank.
Gotta love a woman that likes power tools. ;D

crackerkorean

Its actually a protege5.

I think im still keen on painting it blue.
We already have one yellow vehicle.