News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Oil cooler status report

Started by Lucky, June 20, 2005, 08:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

so far, the opil cooler seems to be doing it's job, my oil pressure is showing higher pressure over all.  used to be 7-10 psi hot at idle. since the cooler was added it settles at about 18-21 psi hot idling.

running warm, pressure, depending on RPM runs about 15-20% higher.

I have also observed my tempurature guage, riding on cooler days (65-75), stays about 1/3 up.  pre cooler on a day like that, it sat halfway.

on a very hot day, in stop & go traffic, the fan will come on & the temp guage dances on the edge of the red zone.

note that with the oil cooler i also switched to Castrol Syntec 20w-50 oil.  i'm sure that had some effect, but it's a ghange i would have done anyway.

I still need to do the main test: flogging it on a HOT  day, but i haven't had one where the bike & I were healthy at the same time.

All in all i'd say the cooler is a sucsess, if anything weird comes up, i'll let you know.

Off the subject, would a synthetic oil make slight oil leaks worse? i've noticed slight seepage here & there, slight coatings really, & now i have to change the starter nose seal, it's leaking about a tablespoon  every 2 days...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

Sounds great lucky!

I might have to do the conversion sometime this summer.  Sitting in 95 traffic heading into DC every day (in 80+ degree weather) is a killer.

As for the synthetic.  I switched to castrol syntec (synthetic blend) and havent had any problems with leakage.  i used to get the normal stator output leakage but that seemed to clear itself up with time.

Plus, if your oil is running cooler (thicker), shouldnt that make it harder for it to seep out?

good luck with that.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

kiawrench

Blake:
    I found great  INEXPENSIVE cooler to build your set up from!!
  Dodge used a small cooler on the minivans, is under the van ,for cooling the power steering . these things are mounted just above rear of engine cradle, ,simple to remove,with only a 10mm wrench. most salvage yards will give it to you!!(just have to go in and get it out yourself)
   i have set up all built, ready to install, (still have to buy plug from lucky,or get one made) found oil filter cover as a back up just in case, all told , so far have 6.00 invested in what may save me hundreds over the next few years... better than discover card and cheaper than a girlfriend, lol . i mounted one after my fuel filter, to see if bike ran better or worse, ,but ended up mounting that one on my chevy, cooler fuel makes that old truck run better, and i stopped my vapor lock problem .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

Quotei mounted one after my fuel filter, to see if bike ran better or worse,

hmm, a fuel cooler...hmmm...  naw :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Lucky -

When I went to full synthetic oil last summer, I had the normal left cover leak - after last year's stator replacement.  I also noticed some additional seepage at a few other gaskets which have never been apart.  The seepage wasn't bad at all, just kind of a oil sheen on the edges of the gaskets.  I've heard that synthetic oils is slipperier than conventional petroleum & minor seeping can be expected with the synth on older bikes.

I switched to semi synthetic Bel-Ray this year.  Didn't see any seepage with it in the hundred or so miles I rode before the stator fried.  Put Silkolene semi-synthetic in when I changed the stator.  Haven't had a chance to ride more than about 20 miles.  Got it warmed up real good & didn't see any seepage @ the left cover or anywhere else.  Shifting is almost as silky as with the full synthetic but just a little notchier.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

As far as leakage goes. SOME synthetics seem to show leaks that were just weeps. I have used 4 different brands of synthetic and semi. I have used mostly Castrol due to the price, avaiability and no negatives showing using them. They say synthetics flow easier. Synthetics appear to like to stick to itself. Meaning there is significant coheshion between the molecules. Kinda like ants finding food..."the train just starts flowing". Maybe they also flow easier through the slightest leak?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules