News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Don't Overtighten Your Clutch Spring Bolts!!!

Started by Blake, June 20, 2005, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Hey everyone,

So finally this past weekend i was able to get into the engine (clutch side). 

Turns out, the "clunks" i heard last weekend, were the heads of my clutch spring bolts breaking off.  I know exactly what did it too.   A few weeks ago i bought a new 3/8" "clicker" type torque wrench from the local harbor freight store.

The specs from the manual say 8ft-lbs for the clutch spring bolts.  so i set the torque wrench to 5lbs.

Well on each i turned and turned, maybe 1/2-3/4 turn past hand tight and didnt hear a click, so i stopped.   I repeated the same with each.  i was actually a little worried i overtightened them.  but i didnt hear a click on the torque wrench set to 5lbs, so i figured it couldnt be that.

Turns out i was wrong.  I open up the clutch cover.  springs are collected at the bottom near the oil return to the sump pan (few are down there too)

After many hours with helicoils, flashlights, magnets, and cursing, i got all 5 bolt heads and springs out.  At first check, it doesnt appear to be any damage to the gears, but here's hoping. no major markings (scratches) on the bolt heads or springs.

Luckily my spare engine still has its clutc basket, so i switched that out.  I also changed the oil for safety's sake, but theres no way to tell if any metal filings got past the oil pickup.

Long story short, just use a 1/4" wrench with a short handle, and lightly tighten your clutch bolts.  Definately not an experience anyone else should go through.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

I was worried, we hadn't heard from you.
Good that it turns out to be something 'fixable'. you have an oil filter so don't worry too much about any errant shavings. at the worst it'll only hurt the pump & that's repalcable.  also, if you don't have a magnetic drain plug in there now, swap out your rear end plug. their interchangable & it's magnetic.  at your next oil change swap them back. both my oil plug & rear end plug are magnetic, i swapped it out from a long ago parts bike.

Keep us posted.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bmeyer6472

Blake-

Maybe the HF torque wrench is no good, or of poor quality. I bought a set of tin snips from HF once, and the first time I tried to use one of them, the tip of the snips snapped right off. I junked the whole lot and bought a set of Wiss snips. HF has some good prices, but some of their stuff is NFG.  >:(  On the other hand, a 1/4" drive torque wrench might be better for these small torque settings - clicker torque wrenches become inaccurate at the limit of their low adjustment, from what I hear. No offense if you already thought about this.  ;D

Bob

Blake

haha.

yeah, i thought that maybe setting the wrench at its near lowest level wasnt such a good idea.  its a pretty decent wrench though (accuracy wise), i tested it again the other torque wrench i have (type that has an indicator that moves as more torque is applied) and both were pretty much the same.

but yeah, definately dont buy anything from there i want to keep for a long time.  if i want good tools i go to sears :) (that reminds me, i need to take my 1/4" socket wrench in.  it doesnt work anymore :) )

But i just got the sale paper today.  the 1/4" torque rwench at HF is on sale :)  maybe ill have to go pick it up along with some allen adaptors for it so i can actually torque the bolts on the vision to spec)

Gotta love those cheap chinese made tools though.  theyre selling a tig welder for 200 bucks too!!  i looked at it in the store and i figured i could splice in some wires to the voltage knob and connect it to the torch like one of those high quality units :)   

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

jasonm.

Sorry to hear of your problem. Remember>On all cycle engines the torque spec given on the clutch spring bolts is the point at which the bolt has clearly bottomed out. Thus to eliminate the bolt from backing out. Your post made it seem that the bolts' heads broke off. Or is it simply a case of the bolts backing out? You can use loctite on these once oil is cleaned from the threads with some brake clean. I have always just trusted my torque instinks on small bolts. Plus having an inch/pound torque wrench from Sears does not hurt.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules