Which one should I use? (Tank hole repair)

Started by hfarley, June 22, 2005, 09:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

Ok, I went to ride yesterday and started the Mamba up. As I was walking around her inspecting her to make sure there were no issues before riding I noticed gas streaming from the tank. Well I must have a pin hole size leak coming from the bottom edge of the tank. I proceded to drain the tank. I hav been reading and also have been told by some mechanic frends and the former owner that I should use an epoxy type stuff to plug the small hole. In fac that is what the former owner used to plug a tiny hole on the other side of the tank. I went to the store and picked up 3 different products and would like opinions on which one I should use and why. Thanks!
1. J-B Kwik Weld- Bonds in 4 minutes two tubes to be mixed together
2. CarGobQuickSteel- Steel-reinforced Epoxy Putty. Stick type product
3. Permatex Gas Tank & Radiator repair- long stick of black putty looking stuff.

Thanks again!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Kevin

Of the 3 you have I would use JB Weld. It is a good product.Kevin

ProfessorRex

The 4min JBQuick is NO JOKE! It is FAST as in 4mins MAX.  I used some yesterday to lock a diff on an RC truck.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

I reccomend a 4th product:
2 part epoxy putty from Car Parts (Car Quest) it comes in a tube at the counter with a display that has a penny stuck in it. this is similar to the 4 min epoxy, & it'll seal a "wet" leak too.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hfarley

I don't know of any Car Parts place around here so that is kind of out of the question. The hole seemed pretty dry last night when I looked at where it was leaking from. I can't see the hole but I know it's there. I guess I will try the JB Weld stuff and see how it works. I won't be doing this until this weekend so if anyone has any other comments they are most welcome. Thanks for letting me pick your brains folks!
-Heather

Superfly

I have used quiksteel (2 part stick) to fix a hole in a oil filter cover.  15k+ miles, still holding strong.  just a little ugly!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Paul_Jungnitsch

If the tank has one pinhole it may have a few more very weak spots. On mine I used a steel pick to to poke around the other rust spots a bit, found a number of future leakers, did a bit of sanding and sorted them all out at once.

hfarley

That is a good point about possible other holes. I will have to do a bit of poking around myself. Thanks! I would rather fix all at once than 1 at a time.
-Heather

jasonm.

epoxies are a quick fix. But for the long haul, the tank should be drained. Then cleaned with a high concentration of Simple Green. Then solder the hole with a good acid core solder. I used a 70/30 acid core. The acid cleans the surface as you solder. It DOES NOT harm the steel. Then do the POR15 thing.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

kiawrench

jason's fix is best one, and most reliable, provided you know a skilled welder or radiator man .  i used a product called lab metal, can buy it online or at most any welding supply store, can says "will seal any leak in any material faster than you can drill a new hole " and it does. great thing with lab metal, it can be used to fix leaks, fill small dents, can be sanded, filed painted ,and you can even use it to fix imperfections in plstic, fiberglass and in most cases exhaust.
  but word of warning it dries real fast, it isnt cheap and the cutting fluid is a must or the whole can will dry in minutes . Note to those curious , you can also powder coat this product right along with the rest of the bike parts                                               http://www.alvinproducts.com/Home/

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

jasonm.

Done 2 tanks this way. I guess I am skilled..???
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

hfarley

Well temporarily I fixed the tank with JB Weld and it works really well! Eventually I will repaint the tank and have it properly fixed and POR'd. Thanks everyone!
-Heather