News:

Main Menu

Sputtering

Started by DaWiseWun, June 26, 2005, 01:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaWiseWun

What would cause my bike to sputter and have no power below 4 thousand RPMs?  I was on my way back home, and the bike started sputtering like it does when I need to switch to reserve tank and find a gas station.  Well, I switched it to reserve and waited for the gas to start flowing again, but it continued to sputter, and would try and die, unless I kept stroking the throttle.  I looked when I got home, and there is plenty of gas in the inline filter, it's almost completly full.  Have any ideas, I was planning on riding it to church tomorrow, I guess that's not happening :(  I though that it might be the battery and it's not getting enough juice, but all the lights work fine and the headlight is as bright as ever. So somthing might have gotten lodged in one of the carbs?  It starts back up just fine, just won't idle.  Seems to rev fine.

Thanks,
Josh
"Of course there's a lot of knowledge in universities; the freshmen bring a little in; the seniors don't take much away, so knowledge sort of accumulates.

Coil Coyle

Did both cylinders run while it was doing this?

Lucky

I just went thru this.  problem was a clogged fuel filter. it looked ok from looking at it under the tank, but when i pulled it out it had lots of crap in it. double check yours.

also, check the cap (try pulling it & putting the bike on prime)  if the vent in the cap is clogged you'll fuel starve the carbs

other things to check:
fuel pump & petcock for crud.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

DaWiseWun

It didn't sound like one of the cylinders was missing, I will check the fuel filter more closely, I hope that is what it is, it sure looked fine.

Josh
"Of course there's a lot of knowledge in universities; the freshmen bring a little in; the seniors don't take much away, so knowledge sort of accumulates.

Lucky

try blowing thru it. i could tell right away doing that
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black