News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Rear Brake lock up, warning

Started by RBFD415, June 28, 2005, 11:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBFD415

O/k guys I've been out of the loop for a few months (computer issues).

Earlier this year (I think?) someone posted a warning about a bolt that could break on the rear brake system. I was not real clear when it was posted which bolt was prone to breaking? Can someone please repost this info (OR point me toward where it is on he site). A drawing or picture would be of help. I'm having a problem picturing which bolt would cause the rear brake to lockup. And Yes, I did try searching the site for the info.

Thanks, Doug H.

Mutt

Here's the url.? http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=93.0

The bolts on both ends of the tension bar (black bar connecting drum to swingarm) need to be inspected/replaced. If either one breaks it will cause your brake drum to rotate in a forward motion (with your tire) which actually applies your brakes for you whether you like it or not! Very undesireable.....

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

RBFD415

Ohhhhhh....that bar! I have the MAC exhaust system which masks the bar perfectly! ;) Now that I can see it I will address it.

Thanks, Doug H.

RickJAB

I am getting ready to replace the bolts on the tension bar.  Where can I get bolts like the ones already on the bike?   A hardware store or auto parts store or did most of you replace with a straight bolt of the diameter of the thickest part ( part without treads)?  Also should I worry about the cotter pin on the repalcement?
Thanks for any help or insite!
RickJAB

ProfessorRex

I found mine at my local (independent) hardware store.  You can use a normal threaded bolt.  As far as the cotter pin goes, get a bolt a long enough to drill a hole in the end and use a cotter pin otherwise you run the risk of loosing the bolt.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Mutt

Here's the site I used for mine. It provides an exploded view of your bike so you can better verify parts. Shipping was within 5 days.

Mutt

http://www.yamahaaccy.com/parts.aspx

kiawrench

Doug h. -
   trust me when i tell you this- that bar is real important. i just finished rebuilding my vision due to that darn bar losing a bolt. lot of damage, more due to the road i was riding than speed, shucks was only doing 34- 35 mph, but if you know anything about the deals gap run,, you know i still wrapped my sweet vision against a tree or two getting it stopped . (if anyone is wondering- i didn t get more than a few bruises, ) recent cast removal was due to surgery that needed to be done (anyone remember my little problem with the old lady and the caddy?)
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

jasonm.

I am guess ing that the broken bolts are due to bikes being stored outside. Increasing the chance of corrosion. Also years ago I noticed on mine that the rear bolt on the drum needed an extra washer to make things properly tight. Loose bolt at the rear can get sheared eventually.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

RBFD415

O/K...Thanks for the input!

Next question then- my bike was not stored outside and when I took the bolt(s) off to inspect them they seem to be in fine shape. I take it that this visual inspection removes "some" doubt about the condition(?)

I'm wondering first off if there is any play required for these, are these swivel points? In other words should there be movement allowed here as it is attached to the moving swing arm? Should they have any "anti-sieze" compound or lube applied?

Since this seems to be a specialized bolt I wonder about using a regular bolt in place of the original fastener?? Since the original has that shoulder area (without threads) it makes me think that some movement was intended.

Doug H

Mutt

I believe you are correct about allowed movement but, I couldn't find anything in my manual about torque requirements. But another concern I would have over the regular bolt is the loss of cross section strength. To me it's too important of a part for substitution.

Mutt